Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/21 16:59
Hello.
I know this question was already been made thousand times, but I would like to be 100% sure about it, since I can't figure it out well.

So, I landed in Japan with the Temporary Visitor status landing permission and I got legally married with my wife in Japan at the town hall and I even went to my home country embassy to valide it. So I have all the documents that attest my marriage.

Now I want to stay in Japan with my wife.
So I went to the site of the Japanese immigration but I'm not sure what application should I make.

So should I apply for the Certificate of Eligibility? (But I'm still in Japan...)

Or should I apply for Change of Status of Residance? (is it okay since I'm a temporary visitor? )

Wish that someone could help me with this. Thanks in advance.
by Br0do  

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/21 19:01
Change of status.

In principle it's not okay because you are TV and probably don't have "extraordinary circumstances", but the reality is that at the moment immigration doesn't seem to care about that.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/21 19:11
Change of resident status from Temporary Visitor to Spouse of Japanese National.

Just be sure that you gather up all the documents you need for that and complete the application for the change before the time period allowed on your Temporary Visitor status expires.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/21 19:11
This won't cause any problems or inconvenience, right?

How long will I be able to stay? Forever? Or should I write a reasonable time during the apply?

Also if I get it, will I be able to work in Japan or do I have to make a different apply after that?
by Br0do rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/21 21:20
No need in this case to apply for coe dirrect apply for change of residents status but be sure that all the documents are ready and as for the desired length of stay better to write there one year because its rules after one year its up to your luck what you get in your extension and for work if you got changed to spouse of japanese national there is a application form need 900 yen stamp its called work permit you should write it at that time and submit it on the same day after 40 minutes waiting you will get your work permit and then enjoy your one year how as you wish to enjoy no restrictions sorry for me poor english
by Hellojapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/22 09:34
I see, so I apply for a work permit after I get the change of residence status, did I understood?

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/22 09:51
No need.
Once your change of status approved, you get status resident as Spouse of Japanese National, which allow you to work. No need to apply for other visa/status.
Spouse of Japanese National is the next best to Permanent Resident (PR), you have no restriction to types of work you can do, same as having PR but you need to renew it.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/22 09:54
Understood!
Thank you so much for all the informations, it helped me a lot since seems like even immigration doesn't know what to say when you ask them questions about the matter.

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/22 09:54
Just to be sure, your wife is of Japanese National isn't it?

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/22 09:55
Yes, 100% Japanese! Born in Saitama

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/22 09:59
The immigration won't tell you anymore than what you ask.
You need to ask the correct question, using the correct term.
The Immigration are not there to help you, they just process your document and guide you to the application.
It is not their job to explain to you all the available Visa/Status.
You may get lucky sometime have immigration officer that explain to you.
Most of the times, they just answer based on what you asked, not more not less.
So always get your question/wording correct before you ask immigration officer.

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/22 10:06
Addition.

When your application for change of status is accepted, your passport will be stamped 'APPLICATION', this will allow you to stay in Japan well over your TV expiry date, at least 2 month after or until your change of status application is decided. It is like extension to your TV.

But don't get your hope high because sometimes they may reject your change of status and ask you to go COE ways.

Good luck.

Re: Change of Status or COE? 2019/1/22 10:10
I see, so should I maybe add some other proof like pictures of me and my wife together with some details about when the picture was made and for what occasion or it would be unnecessary?
Also since I came before with a Working Holiday visa should I add my previous work annual income copy too?

reply to this thread