Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renewal of Spouse Visa. Foreign employment 2019/1/25 08:05
Has anyone renewed their spouse visa while being employed "abroad"
As in living and physically working in Japan but the company that employs you is not ..

I work as a contractor for a company based in Europe, that does not have an office/representation in Japan. My income is paid abroad. I work here.. Kind of remotely but also have dealings with local Japanese companies

Just wondering about the visa renewal and any issues

Anybody experienced any similar situation?
by Darren Russell (guest)  

Re: Renewal of Spouse Visa. Foreign employment 2019/1/25 13:25
Your renewal will be related to Spouse status, so your overseas employment may not be relevant, your marriage matters.
HOWEVER make sure your taxes and pension are up to date (paid).
You will need to show those as the immigration are getting strict on those for renewal.
Lacking will reduce you status period to 1 year instead of 3 or 5 years.

Depending on your resident status (for tax purpose), you may have to declare and pay taxes for overseas income.
http://www.nta.go.jp/english/taxes/individual/12007.htm
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Renewal of Spouse Visa. Foreign employment 2019/1/25 15:05
Maybe I am wrong, but one of the requirement of Spouse visa is living together.
Is your wife living in Japan?

Abroad tax will not count. You need to have paid Japanese tax.

Maybe your wife can ask immigration which options you have, because you need to physically have to go to immigration to extend.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Renewal of Spouse Visa. Foreign employment 2019/1/25 15:53
Abroad tax will not count. You need to have paid Japanese tax.
Depending on OP resident status (for tax purpose), if OP has been a resident for more than 5 years, he is consider as permanent resident.
**Permanent resident(for tax purpose) is different from Permanent Resident (immigration status). http://www.nta.go.jp/english/taxes/individual/12007.htm

In which OP will need to declare overseas income, even though it is paid overseas and then may have to pay Japanese taxes for the said overseas income.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Renewal of Spouse Visa. Foreign employment 2019/1/26 04:56
Irrespective of the 5-years or not (which is not actually relevant), the key point is which country you are tax resident in. If your other country does not have a double taxation agreement you may be liable for taxes in two countries on world-wide income. It is possible to be a Japanese permanent resident and not be tax resident in Japan.

What is relevant is that you have paid all of the taxes you are liable for. Face it, Japan just wants your money.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread