Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About Yasuo Yamada 2019/1/28 05:45
I wanted to do some research on the late Yasuo Yamada (ŽR“c N—Y). He was best known for his voice work as Lupin Sansei, and as the Japanese voice of Clint Eastwood. I have a few questions:

1. Is it true he taught at Waseda University?

2. What was his career beyond Lupin and Clint Easrwood?

3. What was the man like? How did his peers and the public receive him?

4. Did Yamada actually will Kanichi Kurita to take over after his passing?

5. Are there any little known facts or trivia about Yamada?
by karrit  

Re: About Yasuo Yamada/ŽR“c N—Y 2019/1/28 08:31
You should back to wiki(JP).

https://i.imgur.com/LvpyyZM.jpg
by Ami Enan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About Yasuo Yamada/ŽR“c N—Y 2019/1/28 11:09
I am not asking people to do research for me, only to help. I am not a native Japanese speaker. There is a few English resources, such as Wiki articles, but it is difficult to know how trustworthy they are. I was asking a few questions to help me find out further information that might not be available in English.
by karrit rate this post as useful

Re: About Yasuo Yamada/ŽR“c N—Y 2019/1/28 13:08
So you are saying that anonymous internet users like me are "trustworthy" than Wikipedia. Well, the part that Wikipedia is not trustworthy is indeed correct.

If you are doing some serious research, you may want to contact Theatre Echo, the theatre company Yamada belonged to. From top, fill in your name, email address, and your question, then press the blue icon to send it.
https://t-echo.co.jp/?page_id=4171

If it's just for homework, ask at your local library. The library is there to help young students, and if you don't ask them for help they won't know how to help, and sooner or later they will become a useless establishment.

You also could have asked us at the beginning, "I want to do some research on the late Yasuo Yamada. He was best known for his voice work as Lupin Sansei, and as the Japanese voice of Clint Eastwood. I am not a native Japanese speaker. There is a few English resources, such as Wiki articles, but it is difficult to know how trustworthy they are. Could someone help me find further information that might not be available in English? Here are the things I need to know......"

Meanwhile, here is what I can say:

1. Is it true he taught at Waseda University?

I couldn't find any info about that in Japanese, but he was a student there for a while, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did a lecture or a day or two there after he became famous. This is the official site for Waseda, and you can chose English:
https://www.waseda.jp/top/

2. What was his career beyond Lupin and Clint Eastwood?

The following database has a reputation for being quite trustworthy. (Again, it's up to you to trust me.) When you click titles you can jump to a different page that show the English titles of each work. From there you can also jump to IMDB.
http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_p.php?num_p=126303&ct=

It is true that Yamada also made many real-life appearances on TV, theatre and movies, as you can see from Japanese Wikipedia. Particularly since the late 70s, he even had a lot of exposure as things like TV quiz show guests, which I often enjoyed at the time as a viewer. (Again, it's up to you to trust me.)

3. What was the man like? How did his peers and the public receive him?

How about hiring someone to translate Japanese Wiki and quote it if necessary. You can never define how a man was "received" unless you actually know him. You can only say that "he was said to be received this and that way, according to this source".

But as part of the Japanese "public" I can say that Yamada was considered handsome and funny enough to not be a letdown to Eastwood/Belmondo/Lupin fans.

4. Did Yamada actually will Kanichi Kurita to take over after his passing?

I didn't even know it was rumoured.

5. Are there any little known facts or trivia about Yamada?

I reckon that this is not meant for a "yes or no" answer.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: About Yasuo Yamada 2019/1/28 14:24
I appreciate Ucofs sensible response. Thank you, Uco-san.

4. Ifve heard of that rumor – Kurita is a mimick artist, and he was known for doing a good copy of Yasuo Yamadafs Lupin the Third voice, among others (he also did mimic performance of singers and other TV celebrities).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: About Yasuo Yamada 2019/1/28 17:31
Well, the part that Wikipedia is not trustworthy is indeed correct.

The nerve of some people...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About Yasuo Yamada 2019/1/29 00:01
Did I offend anyone? Perhaps I should've written "you should not trust Wiki" rather than to say that it's "not trustworthy".

In any case, what I'm saying is that Wikipedia openly mentions and clarifies on their top page that "anyone can edit" whatever is written there, and at least here in Japan we are educated to not believe everything that is written there.

That doesn't mean that Wikipedia should be frowned upon or what not, or that they are liars, because that is not the case. Wikipedia is a great source to start your search at, but you need to look into official websites, databases or the off-line real world if you need to make sure what the facts are or how one needs to be represented.

Meanwhile, a great number of internet users assume that everything on Wikipedia are facts. I feel that we need to remind them that they are not necessarily facts.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: About Yasuo Yamada 2019/1/29 13:34
I hope I didn't offend. I should have worded my question better. I meant to say that Wikis can be accurate, not not always. I was hoping to find sonecr esources that are more reputable.

Uco, thank you so much. I will try to reach out to the institutions you provided and see what I can find out.
by karrit rate this post as useful

reply to this thread