Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Remarry the same person in Japan? 2019/1/28 21:03
I'm a US citizen with permanent residence status and married to a Japanese citizen.

If we get divorced and she is unable to find another husband and/or I have a change of heart and decide to remarry her...would this be legal or possible to do?

Please don't flame me, I'm just asking if anyone knows about Japanese law with regard to marriage/divorce.
by blondesurferboy  

Re: Remarry the same person in Japan? 2019/1/29 08:25
Please don't flame me
Sorry, your question is so beyond ignition point that itfs impossible not to be sarcastic.

If we get divorced and she is unable to find another husband and/or ...

Without knowing anything about Japanese law, I do know that it is lawful even in Japan for a woman not to be married.

Wishing her a happy and speedy divorce! I am refraining from saying anything else with all my willpower.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Remarry the same person in Japan? 2019/1/29 08:31
In Japan, there is a restriction on the woman to get married after a divorce – she cannot marry for 100 days immediately after a divorce. Except for that, simply gremarryingh is fine, and there is nothing against remarrying the same person. I must say it is a big ghuh?h question though.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Remarry the same person in Japan? 2019/1/29 08:39
I have my thoughts about your question, but I will not put any comment which I think.
This is something you choose

As mentioned above, you cannot remarry her right away.
Also the law is not prohibited to remarry the same person, but people will ask questions.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Remarry the same person in Japan? 2019/1/29 10:10
Yes, you can get divorced - there is a process to go through and depending where you were married (USA or Japan) different procedures will apply.
Yes, both of you can get re-married. The 100-day restriction will still apply to your ex-wife (doesn't apply to men).
Getting the documents from the US embassy and the process at city hall will raise some "interesting" questions. I wouldn't be surprised if they do some investigating, but they might simply not care.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread