Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to i sign up for college in Japan 2019/1/29 07:06
In the uk college is from 16-18 years of age but in japan it is a University.

I decided i want to just do High school in Japan and try to stay there for quite a while and maybe do University.

Questions :
1. Can i travel to Japan at the age of 16 on my own but have someone that i know in japan looking after me?

2. How much money would i need?

3. How do i sign up for a Japanese high school?

4. Do i need to pass the JLPT test to go?
by Faith (guest)  

Re: How to i sign up for college in Japan 2019/1/29 17:27
Are you fluent in Japanese? Have you contacted your local Japanese embassy to ask? Have you looked up living expenses? Have you spoken to your family about this?

This is a terrible idea.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to i sign up for college in Japan 2019/1/29 18:45
nice dream but will not happen unless you speak native.
You options are exchange programs or language schools if you are not native speaker.

My daughter goes to Junior high school and it is hard, long days, club activities, home work a lot.
I feel sorry sometimes :)
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: How to i sign up for college in Japan 2019/1/30 05:33
You are a minor - you would need someone to guarantee/sponsor you and provide accommodation.
You do not need JLPT (a pretty useless test), but unless you are going to an International School, if you do not speak and write Japanese, you will not get into high school. High school is not compulsory (is optional) and you would probably face an entrance exam. I know people that have to pass these to even stay in their current school.
Costs - maybe 50,000-100,000 yen per month to pay some rent/board/fees. You will have school costs as well - international schools or private schools and be 50k-100k/month easily.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How to i sign up for college in Japan 2019/1/30 09:59
You speak Japanese?
Can you get ready lots of money?
And what type of visa do you think you are eligible for ?
You can't just come here you know. Well maybe as tourist since you are from UK?, visa waiver.

Why waste your time with this.

Just finish your A-level, take up Work Holiday Visa on your gap year OR after you finished your University.

Or why don't you look for any high school exchange program, which some may last from few weeks to 1 whole year. At least some of those program are subsidise, mean you don't have a lot of money to start with.

https://www.youthexchange.org.uk/
https://www.japansociety.org.uk/schools/school-links__trashed/guidelin...

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread