Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/30 06:35
Hi. We are thinking to visit Japan next year for cherry blossom season (end of March - begins of April). It will be spring before 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo. Is it a good idea? Will it be affected by extra closers of roads, touristy sites, renovations and other constructions? Or it will be done by that time? Will it be extra crowded (besides usual for that time of the year)? How about prices for hotels?
Thank you
by Malish64  

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/30 10:09
Doubtful the games will cause you issues 3 months out. Yes there will be construction going on, but nothing that should effect tourism.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/30 11:53
Hi,
I honestly don't think there is any problem with visiting Japan before the Olympics. They will take place in summer so you should not worry about it. On the opposite, it is a good idea not to visit in summer (if you are not interested by the Olympics) because it will be extremely crowded at that moment.

If you are afraid of the crowd though, there might still be quite a lot of people due to the cherry blossoms but don't worry, it is really manageable. Make sure you don't only visit Tokyo but also go in other region of Japan to get the most of it.

I hope that this helped.
If you need more info, visit easylifejapan.com.

Thierry from Easy Life Japan
by Easy Life Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/30 16:11
Thank you so much. We are planing to visit quiet few places besides Tokyo, such us Nikko, Kanazawa, Takayama, Kyoto, Nara, Miyajima and Osaka. If you have any suggestions beside those, especially off the bitten pass, i would really appreciate it.
Thank again
by Malish64 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/30 23:11
I wonder if people are commenting based on experience.

I once traveled to a city by train right before it hosted the Olympics only to find the biggest train station completely gone. Long story short, I was so consumed body and soul that I had a huge luggage stolen, and that was the only time I had to file a police report in the 30 years of my experience of traveling alone.

But otherwise, I had a great time in that city because everyone seemed to be paying effort to accept foreign tourists. Very few people spoke the languages I speak, but they were very accommodating, full of hospitality, and I was lucky enough to coincidentally encounter two renowned artists from out of the city.

So I doubt that the Olympics will not affect tourism, either in good ways or bad. Looking back at the recent Olympics, a lot of things do not go as planned. As for prices, they are yet to be fixed, so ask an experienced travel agent for predictions.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/31 04:35
Thank you. Ifll ask

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/31 06:27
right before it hosted the Olympics
April is not right before the olympics. Travelling in August would be a different story, but lots of people will avoid Japan because of the event. I still expect price gouging, even in the Japan tourism market.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/31 07:42
Kyoto and kanazawa are nice, but not quiet. Just so you know.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/1/31 13:21
Actually, Kyoto is still quiet if you go to the right tourist spots. A friend recently enjoyed sightseeing there. I'm sure the same thing can be said for Kanazawa and any other city in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in spring of 2020 before Olympics 2019/2/1 06:26
Definitely we expect crowd in touristy places, especially during cherry blossom season. I was referring to extra people who could be there because of preparation for games.

reply to this thread