Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

student visa afrer finishing school 2019/2/4 14:46
I'm going to be leaving my school in March, and they told me that I had to leave within 1 month (which i know is a lie, since i'm American an can get 3 months) my resident card says my valid stay is until July 1st.
The papers they had me fill out seems like they won't mail in the notification until after i leave the the country and email them proof that i left.

What I want to know is if I'm safe lieing to the school saying I'll leave within the month and leaving it at that untill the actual date that I'll leave or should I go to the MOJ in Tokyo and summit the form, flight proof and the 4,000 yen stamp to change to TV. The school already knows that I know that they are lairs about the 1 month that I have to leave

Thanks in advance
by malion12 (guest)  

Re: student visa afrer finishing school 2019/2/4 16:53
If the school does not submit the notification that you have left, it is their problem. As long as you submit your notification properly, you should be fine.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: student visa afrer finishing school 2019/2/4 18:07
School is not lying, once you finished you need to change the visa status since you are not student.
6 weeks you have the time to change to another status. For example tourist and you can stay 3 months.

As mentioned if school is not informing immigration that you finished you can take the RISK to keep the student visa. If it is found out you can be deported or banned from Japan. This is case by case, and 50% luck.

I would not take the risk since a status visa is an official document. You can easily change or inform immigration.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: student visa afrer finishing school 2019/2/4 18:41
As mentioned if school is not informing immigration that you finished you can take the RISK to keep the student visa. If it is found out you can be deported or banned from Japan. This is case by case, and 50% luck.

Please stop telling people that they can be deported when it is not the case. Even in the worst case, the penalty for not submitting the notification is a fine of 200,000 yen, not deportation and not an entry ban.

And even then, that's if OP does not submit the notification, so it does not apply here, because it's the school that says they won't submit the notification. If thr school does not submit the notification, it is their problem, and OP is not responsible for it.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: student visa afrer finishing school 2019/2/5 08:41
There are cases and again it depends on the situation. Yes you can have penalty but staying on a student visa while you are informed can be different situation. YOU are not immigration and there have been cases students where deported.

On a student visa you can work partime, but since the visa is not applicable anymore it is illegal work.
There are many reasons and options which immigration can follow.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: student visa afrer finishing school 2019/2/5 09:04
Please stop telling people that they can be deported when it is not the case. Even in the worst case, the penalty for not submitting the notification is a fine of 200,000 yen, not deportation and not an entry ban.

Really? Do you have to be such a ...
Can't you rebut in a more civilize way ?

A 200,000 yen is not the worse case scenario. That is just a slap on the wrist.
A worse case scenario is if the student ignore the status revocation, departure order and deportation order, will land up in detention center when they got caught. If the immigration want to have a field day with them, they will be detain for a long long time and when they do get sent home, which normally you'll need to fork up all the deportation process monies.

And to OP, so what if you are American.
Your 3 months entitlement is only applicable if you do a visa run, that is you go out of Japan and come in again on visa waiver.
While in Japan on your student status, either one of you need to inform immigration on any changes related to your status within 14 days.
You can claim ignorant/lie or say your school didn't inform immigration, it will not do you any good if you are caught by immigration.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: student visa afrer finishing school 2019/2/5 09:51
Since your nationality makes you eligible for Temporary Visitor status without applying for one in advance (if you were traveling from your country), if I were in your shoes, I would report that your course ended, as required by the rules, and then apply for a change of resident status from gstudenth to gtemporary visitorh at the immigration bureau, if you want to travel for a while in Japan.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread