Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip Kanazawa from Takayama 2019/2/5 15:18
Is it worthy to do a day trip to Kanazawa from Takayama (planning on feb 20) via highway bus (using shoryudo bus pass)? planning to visit kenrokuen and kanazawa castle park
by KJph (guest)  

Re: Day trip Kanazawa from Takayama 2019/2/6 10:46
Yep, worth it just for Kenrokuen and also stop by Shirakawa-go for an hour maybe on the way back.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip Kanazawa from Takayama 2019/2/6 14:10
Kenrokuen is overrated and overrun with tourist bus groups
by bonbi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip Kanazawa from Takayama 2019/2/7 09:57
Kenrokuen can be a disappointment if people don't know what they are getting. I heard someone complaining there were no flowers, they didn't know it was a landscape garden. It's ok/good, there are other gardens around the country I like better. I've also encountered too many annoying large groups with loud-hailers blasting out their commentary against the rules of the garden (last one was Japanese).

Is it worth it as a day trip? Depends how long you have in Takayama and what you are doing there and elsewhere on your trip. I would normally do an over-night between Kyoto and Takayama.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip Kanazawa from Takayama 2019/2/7 10:26
Thank you for the inputs everyone

I will be doing 3 days,
first day will be bus trip from nagoya to takayama (ideally first morning bus arriving at 1015) then check in to the hostel then go to shirakawago
Second day will be the kanazawa day trip
Third day will be Takayama town then go back to nagoya in the afternoon
by KJph (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip Kanazawa from Takayama 2019/2/7 10:48
I thought it was really nice and that was under snow. But then it was about 8 years ago and I havent been back since. I prefer Takayama to Kanazawa (but I am in the minority), but what I would do is go to Kanazawa early in the day, leave by 1ish and stop at Shirakawa on the way back to Takayama. you only need up to 2 hours at Shirakawa.

Takayama Park is really nice under snow, try walking to the top.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip Kanazawa from Takayama 2019/2/15 22:59
I have been both to Takayama and Kanazawa. I think Kanazawa is a wonderful city (one of the finest in Japan) and the bus takes a very scenic route from Takayama to Kanazawa (particularly in winter when there is snow). There are wonderful museums in Kanazawa and my favorite was Suzuki Museum - dedicated to the work of Buddhist philosopher originally from Kanazawa. One day may just be too short though.
by Burcu Basar rate this post as useful

reply to this thread