Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakushima/Kagoshima in April 2019/2/14 14:19
Greetings, All. Looking for options for a 4-5 day trip over the spring school break, and Yakushima has been rising on my list. Seems like early April is a pretty good time to go - nice weather and not the worst crowds. I'm thinking something like the below:

4/3 Fly to Kagoshima (from KIX). Kagoshima.
4/4 AM ferry to Yakushima. Yakushima.
4/5 Yakushima.
4/6 Ferry to Kagoshima. Kagoshima.
4/7 Kagoshima
4/8 Fly to Kix

A couple of questions, if I may:

1. If I stay 5 nights would you recommend 3 on Yakushima and 2 in Kagoshima, or vice-versa? Kirishima and Sakurajima interest me as day-trip options from Kagoshima.
2. I know Yakushima without a car is not ideal, but most likely I'd be relying on buses and possibly renting a bike. Just how manageable is a 2-3 day Yakushima trip without a car?

I do enjoy hiking quite a bit, though the 10-12 hour overnight trips to the interior may be a bit much for my dodgy back at this point. 2-4 hour hikes and/or climbs would probably be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dan
by Deeg67  

Re: Yakushima/Kagoshima in April 2019/2/15 08:52
I visit both without a car. I would probably do 2 nights Yakushima, but three nights allows two full days to do the hiking and getting around so makes it a bit more flexible. In Kagoshima there is also enough in/around to make either a two or three night stay worthwhile.
And expect rain on Yakushima.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima/Kagoshima in April 2019/2/15 13:37
Thanks! And yes, I know to expect rain year-round on Yakushima.

Another question - would I likely need to make a reservation for the car ferry ( I won't have a car, but it's cheaper) or is walking on OK as long as it's not Golden Week or something?
by Deeg67 rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima/Kagoshima in April 2019/2/15 22:22
Hello - I would do at least three nights in Yakushima. I have been there twice and stayed for two months during my last stay. Car is ideal but there are still number of trails that you can reach with public bus especially if you are staying in main towns of Miyanoura or Anbo. Those trails include Shiratani, Jamon Sugi and Yakusugiland. I have couple of posts on my website about Yakushima and please feel free to ask any question you may have. I am a fan of that tiny island. Burcu (www.bizarrejourneys.com) P.S: Ocean side open air onsens are also highly recommended.
by Burcu Basar rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima/Kagoshima in April 2019/2/16 09:34
Thank you! Love your website - beautiful design.
by Deeg67 rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima/Kagoshima in April 2019/2/16 16:45
Thank you! I hope that you will enjoy Yakushima - such a magical place and the weather will be on your side.
by Burcu Basar rate this post as useful

reply to this thread