Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cherry blossom during 19-22 April 2019/2/17 22:06
Hi Japan lovers,

I'm going to Tokyo from 23-25/4 and I'll have 19-22/4 free. I want to travel around to see cherry blossom, especially with temple, pagoda or shrines.

Would you please suggest me which places I should go to? I'll have JR pass with me. I'm thinking that 21-22/4 visit Kawaguchiko and Chureito pagoda, do you think I'll still be able to see sakura at that time?
For 19-21, I'm thinking about Sendai but I haven't seen many review yet, is it worth to visit?

Thanks so much in advance.
by Thangln  

Re: Cherry blossom during 19-22 April 2019/2/18 11:55
by Cipozan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom during 19-22 April 2019/2/18 12:20
Hi!

Japan Guide has a list of best viewing spots:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_where.html

Where Mikamine Park in Sendai is recommended as a great viewing location. Though I admit, if it were me, I would probably be looking into Hanamiyama Park in Fukushima. It has 3 stars for viewing and is probably just gorgeous.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom during 19-22 April 2019/2/19 08:39
19th-21st - probably will need to head further north than Sendai.
Around Fuji and the pagoda would be way too late.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom during 19-22 April 2019/2/19 08:57
Thanks for everyone's replies. Do you think I should move the free dates to 26-30/4 and travel to Sapporo in the hope of seeing cherry blossom?
I will visit Hirosaki during 24-26/4 anyway, so will take a few hours of shinkensen to Sapporo from Aomori would be ok
by Thangln rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom during 19-22 April 2019/2/19 10:03
Personally, if it were me, I would go to Kakunodate for the sakura (it's amazing) and stop off on the way and see the skunk cabbage.

http://www.nihon-kankou.or.jp.e.wp.hp.transer.com/akita/052159/detail/...

I would then travel to Hirosaki. I've not been, but I would have loved to have added Kitakami when I was touring Tohoku a decade ago for sakura. I also went to Towada City which was quite pretty, but not in the league of Kakunodate and Hirosaki.

Again, it was a decade ago, but I was in Tohoku around the 24th of April until the 27th of April for sakura. The sakura front was early that year too (like this year is predicted to be) because going by pictures I had close to peak in Fukuoka on March 23, '09 and I have some decent start of sakura pictures in Takamatsu, Kyoto and Tokyo on the 24th, 25th and 26th respectively.

At a minimum it's 320 minutes to Sapporo from Hirosaki, That's an awful long trip. I also think 4/30 will put you a little too early for Sapporo.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom during 19-22 April 2019/2/19 22:26
Thanks everyone.

So now I'm considering that:
Noon 19 - Noon 20: Fukushima
Noon 20 - noon 22: Kakunodate (then back to Tokyo)

Should I spend more time on Kakunodate than Fukushima like above? Thanks in advance
by Thangln rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom during 19-22 April 2019/2/20 01:39
Nice! Thanks for the tip!
by 2coolPeter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread