Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train pass and itinerary question 2019/2/18 13:17
Hi there! We will be in Japan next week and Ifm still confuse with what train pass I should use... herefs our itinerary (all hotel are already booked and we are a family of 5 ( children age 7,4 and 1)
We though JR Kansai area pass 4d could be a good pick for our first 4 days:
Day 1- landing in Kansai 17h taking the train to Kyoto station where our hotel is a 10 min walk.
Day 2- visiting Arashiyama area (monkey park, Tenryu-ji temple, bamboo forest, Togetsukyo bridge...)
Day 3- day trip to Osaka
Day 4- day trip to Nara
\-
Day 5 and 6: Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji temple, Ginkakuji, Kiyomizudera, sanjusangen-do wfll split those temple into two days and add an evening in Gion.
= I was thinking maybe Kyoto one day bus pass for those
\-
Day 7: Kyoto to Nagoya: Ifm thinking train from Kyoto station to Nagoya. We want to go to Nabana no winter illumination that night. Train and bus to get there?
Day 8: Nagoya: Legoland: train?
\-
Day 9: Nagoya to Kawaguchiko: from my reading it seems that bus are the only direct way and cheaper. We want to see Mt Fuji so depending on the weather will see there what/where will go... will be staying near a train station
Day 10: kawaguchiko to Tokyo: train?
Day 11 to 16: Tokyo
Day 17: Tokyo to HND airport
Would love to know what you think, and if Ifm heading in the right way. Thank you.
by Veronique (guest)  

Re: Train pass and itinerary question 2019/2/18 15:28
from my reading it seems that bus are the only direct way and cheaper.

Yeah, but it eats up your whole morning, unless you take the overnight one.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train pass and itinerary question 2019/2/18 18:37
I'm doubtful any passes will pay off.

Maybe daily bus or train passes. But without any more info than you have given. No suggestions can be given.

To Kawaguchiko - take shinkansen to Mishima station, then bus onwards. It is not the cheapest option. But if you use overnight bus, I'm doubtful it will be fun with kids, and you need to change 2 days of your itinerary.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train pass and itinerary question 2019/2/19 08:45
No passes. You are doing tiny/short distance stuff around Kansai on multiple companies. Even if you got a pass, the savings would be pretty tiny.
Your long distance stuff is one-way and between regions so no regional pass applies and the national pass is way too expensive.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Train pass and itinerary question 2019/2/19 09:53
Thank you all for your answer! So even the Kansai area pass is not a great buy...maybe we shouldnft buy it and this will give us more flexibility in our order of day planing... May I ask one more thing, we really want to see Mount Fuji and since going there from Nagoya is taking lots of time we are wondering if we should head straight to Tokyo? since we have 5 days+ in Tokyo we could watch the weather from there and plan a day trip to mount Fuji area when the conditions will be good? Will that save us time and money or end up being more time and cost consuming? Thank
by Veronique (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train pass and itinerary question 2019/2/19 10:38
While going as a day trip from Tokyo would allow you to better plan for the weather. Yes it will be more time consuming and costly. But that is the trade off for a better view of Fujisan.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train pass and itinerary question 2019/2/19 15:18
Nagoya to Kawaguchiko takes a long time if you take the direct bus because, well, it's a bus. If you take the more conventional route through Mishima it's quicker since you take the Shinkansen (best is if you take a direct Hikari, instead of a Kodama possibly with transfers).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread