Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu -Visit Udo shrine 2019/2/18 15:20
During the week which I am planning to be in Kyushu, I am considering to visit Udo shrine on the eastern coast. But this visit will cause an additional long drive out of the schedule I am planning. Given that I am planning to visit the temples in Kanisaki peninsula. Is it still worth visiting Udo shrine as well?

And on the same note, if will decide to visit the coast area is it worth driving down from Udo shrine up until "Cape Toi" since I am planning to visit on the last day of my visit Cape Nagasakibana near Ibusuki onsen.

Any help with this planning will be appreciated.
by Orna (guest)  

Re: Kyushu -Visit Udo shrine 2019/2/18 18:28
You questioning is quite confusing.

It would be up to you to decide if something is worth it in relation to time. As you failed to share an itinerary, only you can answer those questions.

As for Cape Toi. IF you are visiting there. It is on the Nichinan Coast, so Visit Udo Shrine and Aoshima would make sense on that day. Another location to visit would be the old castle town of Obi.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu -Visit Udo shrine 2019/2/18 21:00
Sory if it was confusing.

Here is my trip schedule in brief:

Day 1- Take the car from Usa station, visit Usa shrine and Kanisaki peninsula
Day 2- Kitsuki city and Beppu hot springs and Mount. Tsurumi ropeway
Day 3- Yufuin onsen, Lake kinrin, Takasakiyama drive to Usuki ston buddhas
Day 4 - Aso Kuju national Park, Aso mountains and area (Nakadake Crater), Aso shrine
Day 5- Takachiho Gorge and drive to Udo shrine
Day 6- Drive to Cape Toi and drive to Kirishima national park
Day 7- drive to Chiran, Ibusuki onsen, Cape Nagasakibana, Lake Ikeda
Day 8- Kagoshima city (Sakurajima)

As you can see, it is very stressed schedule with plenty of driving.

This is why I was wondering if the visit to Udo shrine is worth the extra driving since it will take some time forom Kirishima national park which is the next stop.

And same question whether it is recommended to keep driving to Cape Toi (if I will go to Udo shrine ) or I can skip it since I will see the edge of the Kyushu from Cape Nagasakibana

by Orna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu -Visit Udo shrine 2019/2/18 22:33
It's a long way from somewhere on the Kunisaki Peninsula to the Nichinan Coast of Miyazaki. The coastal road, Rt.10, takes forever as it's two lane and the main/only N-S route. Your only other option to make it quickly is to use the toll roads picking up the Oita Expressway to Tosu, the Kyushu Expressway to Ebino, where you take the Miyazaki Expressway to whichever road you want to cut down to the coast - a lot of driving and a large toll. You then have the coast to drive down to get to the shrine. There are other scenic routes such as the Yamanami Highway but they will be time consuming to drive.

Unless you're planning on making this area a part of your itinerary, it's not just a day trip from Kunisaki.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu -Visit Udo shrine 2019/2/19 00:06
I understand.

Here is my trip schedule in brief:
Day 1- Take the car from Usa station, visit Usa shrine and Kanisaki peninsula
Day 2- Kitsuki city and Beppu hot springs and Mount. Tsurumi ropeway
Day 3- Yufuin onsen, Lake kinrin, Takasakiyama drive to Usuki ston buddhas
Day 4 - Aso Kuju national Park, Aso mountains and area (Nakadake Crater), Aso shrine
Day 8- Kagoshima city (Sakurajima)

As you can see it is very stressed schedule with plenty of driving.
This is why I was wondering if the visit to Udo shrine is worth the extra driving since it will take some time form Kirishima national park which is the next stop.

And same question whether it is recommended to keep deriving to Cape Toi (if I will Udo shrine )or I can skip it since I will see the edge of the Kyushu from Cape Nagasakibana

Re: Kyushu -Visit Udo shrine 2019/2/19 22:49

If you're in Takachiho, you're a long drive from either coast. Continue on 218 to Nobeoka and head south from there. With this route, it's not that far out of the way to see the Udo Shrine. Skip the Toi Peninsula and head inland for Obi heading north at Aburatsu instead as there are more sights there and you have to backtrack anyway to get to Kirishima. Aburatsu used to be a major tuna port, but as the tuna got overfished, the down went into a slump. They're in the process of vitalizing the place now if you want to stop and look around. The coffee shop on the arcade is the center.

Take smaller roads out of Obi (not the main road through Miyakonojo) to pick up the Miyazaki Expressway and get off at the Kobayashi exit and head past the Kosumosu fields (in bloom in the fall season) to get up to Ebino Kogen.

On heading to Chiran, you have another long drive. Just about any route from Ebino Kogen or the lower onsen area is slow going to get to the Kyushu Expressway .to take south to Kagoshima City. In Kagoshima, look for the Ibusuki Skyline. The toll's not much and besides getting views over the bay and volcano, you don't get caught in traffic jams along the coast. Japanese drivers call the coastal road a "dead road" as you sometimes have to stop for long periods of time.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu -Visit Udo shrine 2019/2/20 03:22
The Udo Shrine is seaside and quite different than Kunisaki - only you can really decide if it is worth it. It's surprising also that you didn't mention Usa Jingu in the area.
https://goo.gl/LtuSW8
And one of the finest on Kyushu is in Saga - the Yutoku Inari Shrine.
https://youtu.be/2UU_1Aip_l4
Your plans definitely entail a lot of driving - and while some of it could be done by expressway and maybe at a bargain with a Kyushu Expressway Pass
http://global.w-nexco.co.jp/en/kep/
a lot of driving is on regular roads and very time-consuming.
A few other notes - you didn't specifically say when you are going, but the Aso crater is closed again and who knows when it will be open.
http://www.aso.ne.jp/~volcano/info/
If driving, there is more in the area - the Nabegataki Waterfall is beautiful and not far away. You can also walk behind the falls.
https://youtu.be/fqNCq1kMdac
The Daikanbo Lookout and Kikuchi Gorge are also beautiful.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu -Visit Udo shrine 2019/2/20 03:34
You are all so kind. Thank you for the very useful advice.

I will visit in late September early October. Hope the Aso crater will open by then.

I will add the suggested places to my trip.

Thank you

Orna

reply to this thread