Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you buy unlocked iPhones in Japan? 2019/2/22 00:44
Hi everyone.

I'm moving to Japan in March. I'm planning to use a Japanese "Mobal" SIM card. However, my current phone is locked and cannot be unlocked, so it will be useless. I need to buy a new phone.

The thing is: for the Mobal SIM to work, the new phone must be unlocked. I would like to buy a iPhone 8 or iPhone X. I could buy it in the UK and bring it to Japan, but I'm worried that UK iPhones might not work in Japan. So I think it's better to buy it in Japan. If I go to the Apple Store in Tokyo, would I be able to buy an unlocked iPhone? And use it with this Mobal SIM?

Any help would be much appreciated.
by Sean (guest)  

Re: Can you buy unlocked iPhones in Japan? 2019/2/22 11:16
Except perhaps a few pathological cases, any SIM-free phone purchased anywhere in the world in the past 10 years or so will work in Japan. An iPhone purchased in the UK most definitely will, but yes, you can buy one in Japan as well.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you buy unlocked iPhones in Japan? 2019/2/22 11:20
Yes. You can buy unlocked iPhone at apple store in Japan.
Note that the shutter noise of the camera cannot be turned off. Apart from that itfs the same as any other iPhone.

Best luck fir your move!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you buy unlocked iPhones in Japan? 2019/2/22 15:55
Sean. I have travelled to Japan with all sorts of UK phones & they have all worked. What model is your current phone? I think it's very unlikely it cant be unlocked
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Can you buy unlocked iPhones in Japan? 2019/3/23 22:52
I bought a PIxel 2 sim free and rented a Japanese data sim for my visit.

Sim free Iphones should work fine.
by r43534 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread