Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/22 13:44
I'm wondering how many days in a row pajamas get worn before they get washed by the typical Japanese person. I'm curious because people rarely (or never) go to bed dirty in Japan. I'm also curious to know how often the typical Japanese person washes their bedding. Thanks!
by Amy (guest)  

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/22 18:17
I checked in my house and there a washing machine . You put bedding inside and turn on.
For Pajamas I think every 2 or 3 days is needed. In summer it will be everyday.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/22 21:13
I wash my sleepwear every day if I'm at home where I'm free to use the laundry machine. If I'm traveling alone, I won't wash it for about three nights, and there would be no one to mind anyway. As for bedding, I try to wash as much as my laundry machine can hold at a time, only if the weather is nice enough to dry them all and if I know I'd be there to take them in before sunset, which I must admit is not that often.

But I don't know if that is typical. I am indeed a Japanese person living in the Japanese climate and culture, but I think things like these can differ depending on the household or person. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "people rarely (or never) go to bed dirty in Japan". Do people go to bed so dirty in your country? I don't wash my body in the evening unless I am obviously sweaty or muddy or stinky. And the only reason I do wash is because I'd be too uncomfortable to sleep if I'm all sticky with dirt.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/22 22:28
I think many Japanese wear underwear under pajamas. they take a bath everyday and change underwear everyday.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/23 09:36
Every day.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/23 16:19
In response to the person who asked, yes, most people do go to bed without bathing in my country (the US). Most people bathe in the morning. With the difficulty of doing laundry in Japan, I wasnft sure if people were able to save time by washing pajamas and bedding less. I read an article that said pajamas are worn 17 days on average in England before being washed.
by Amy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/23 17:59
As I (a Japanese male) hate to wear pajamas on my underwear, and also hate to wear them directly on my skin, I usally don't wear them when I go to bed. I go to bed only with undershirt and underpants. And the point is that most of Japanese people ordinarily bathe everyday, ie. every evening (not in the morning), maybe always with exceptions, and we change underwear and underpants at the time, instead of changing often sheets and pajamas.

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/23 18:31
No difficulty doing laundry in Japan. Where did you here that?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/24 15:32
Amy, thank you for your response.

Like I wrote (and in contrary to another poster), the Japanese have been typically taking showers in the morning instead of the evening ever since the 1980s (when "asa-shan" meaning "morning shampoo" came into style). Before that, people only washed themselves in the evening using heated bathtub water, but in those times it wasn't typical to bathe every night. People would skip a night or so, and just wash their faces in the morning.

So I don't think that the Japanese are typically more "clean" when they sleep than Americans or Europeans. Additionally, Japan is more humid than most places in Northern America and Europe, so in that sense people living here tend to get dirtier, even compared to the UK where the climate is supposed to be similar geographic-wise.

And speaking from my experiences of traveling to the UK multiple times, I feel that not washing pajamas for days in the UK and not washing them in Japan are two totally different things. Yet, before laundry machines were invented, the Japanese washed less, or in other words, they were not able to wash everything in the limited time of the day (as with any person around the world back then who couldn't afford enough maids).

By the way, I'm also puzzled by your idea that there is "difficulty of doing laundry in Japan". All I need to do for pajamas is press one button.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/25 07:03
I'm Japanese and I've never thought taking shower only in the morning is common at all. "Morning shampoo" was promoted by a bathing product company, but everyone knows it's not good for hair. (Obviously because they want to take a bath also at night.)

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/25 09:26
I prefer quick morning shower to wake up and long bath time in the evening.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: How often do the Japanese wash their pajamas? 2019/2/25 10:56
Note that many newer apartments have their bathroom turn into a heated drying room which is something that I truly miss.

The only thing which is difficult to dry are large sheets (in quantity) and things like rugs and futons. It seems as though most people air out their futons and such once a week when I lived in Japan, but everyone is different.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread