Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/2/22 23:59
Hello,

please help with the following confusions:

1. taking the chuo line from Kanda to shinjuku and going to the Odakyu sightseeing center. Do we need to get out of the JR ticket barrier to proceed to Odakyu? is it a far or long walk?

2. after getting the hakone pass and romance car surcharge ticket at Odakyu, after two days we go to Hakone.

Again from JR, do we need to tap our suica card for JR line exit going to the odakyu platform?

with the romance car surcharge ticket, do we pass by a manned counter and show them our hakone pass + the romance car ticket?

is it also a long walk from JR chou platform to odakyu platform? i have seniors with me but i consider them fast also. im worried of our transfer time

3. which station is an easy transfer from Yamanote line to Shinkansen going to Gala Yuzawa and Utsunomiya. Tokyo or Ueno stations?

Thanks a lot
by jmonilla  

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/2/23 13:21
1. If you are going to the Odakyu Sightseeing Center, then yes (meaning you donft yet have a connecting ticket to Odakyu line).
2. Once you have tickets – OK I assume you will have Suica for your JR rides, and the Hakone Pass (=tickets for Odakyu) in your hand. JR and Odakyu are different railways, so yes you will tap out of JR, and enter the ticket for Odakyu, to make the train line change. You donft have to go via the manned counter.
3. Either one is fine.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/2/23 14:07
So we're just going to insert our romancecar tickets on the ticket gates I assume? then say once in odawara or hakone, we just have to show the hakone pass to manned gates in taking the tozan rails for example and other rides just like what we did with our tokyo wide pass 4 yrs ago.

I cant remember though if we inserted any shinkansen tickets reserved on the previous days as well as our reseved tickets on the azusa trains when we have the tokyo wide pass
by jmonilla rate this post as useful

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/2/23 16:26
Frankly, no need to worry. The gates are generally all manned and if you take a few minutes to orientate yourself at Shinjuku it is all very well indicated. If you need to touch your ic card first or your Odakyu pass doesnft really matter. If you do it the wrong way round the door will know, and you just pass by the clerk.

The walk isnft very far. Shinjuku JR to Odakyu is a compact interchange.

However give yourself more time than google maps. The transfer time of google maps is very ambitious. You can often only make it if a) you know exactly where you are going, b) you are already in the right car , close to the appropriate stairs/exit , c) you donft find obstacles (eg queues) in your way.

Enjoy your trip to Hakone!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/2/28 23:30
right! actually Im quite familiar with Shinjuku station but havent been to the Odakyu area. Just worried say An hour from akihabara is enough transit time before taking the romance car at odakyu with seniors. we plan to reserve seats a day before

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/3/1 01:04
If you want to take it calmly , Ifd plan about 15 min at Shinjuku to change from JR to Romance car as you already have the tickets. Jr and Odakyu are well linked.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/3/1 01:56
yeah I guess thats a perfect time! 😀

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/3/1 19:09
If you go out the wrong JR exit the walk is a long way. Look for the west exits and exit the JR station - do not use a transfer gate.
For Odakyu - once you have your tickets, use the ticket gates at Shinkuku - even at Hakanoe-Yumoto. I have never used a manned gate.

As for shinkansen and Tokyo or Ueno, actually Tokyo is best. Some shinkansen services do not stop at Ueno.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/3/1 19:15
The best transfer station is really whatever your route planning tool says. Yes, there are some (very few) Shinkansen services that don't stop at Ueno, but obviously it only matters if you are actually taking one of them.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transferring Lines at Train Stations 2019/3/1 19:50
what do you mean you havent used any manned gates for Odakyu? we have the Hakone Pass. Isnt it similar with the Tokyo wide pass? But I guess with the romance car train they will be giving us another ticket which will be inserted on when entering and exiting odakyu gates.

SAY from odawara, well take the tozan railways to gora, should we have another ticket? or well just present the hakone pass on the counter or any manned gates to enter the the rail platforms?

reply to this thread