Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/24 05:30
Hi there, I am going to Japan this spring and will stay 5 days im Tokyo.
I wanted to stay in Tokio Central in order to get around conviniently with the Metro.
I have two areas in mind: around kyobashi station or south ginza / near shimbashi station.
What ia the better area in terms of restaurants, neighborhood, sights nearby, and getting around with the metro?
The remm Hotel looks interesting, haven't stayed with them so far. We are traveling as a couple.
Cheers
by Sam (guest)  

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/25 10:40
It really depends what you want to do. Tokyo is like many cities in one - that means most places have good restaurants within walking distance.

The only suggestion I can make is also check out these two websites for more hotels along with the regulars....

https://travel.rakuten.com/ (main Japanese site)
https://www.japanican.com/en/ (sometimes has good specials)
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/25 12:31
Hi!

I've stayed in both the Kyobashi area and the Shimbashi area. I like both. If you're energetic they're not even that far from one another. My grade schooler and I walked up Chuo dori in July between them. I think they both have a lot of transport options. I would base it on which hotel you like better and which is a better price.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/25 12:36
Kyobashi is a much nicer area, no question. Shimbashi and the south end of Ginza are lively, but have some seedier areas as well.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/25 15:47
What do you mean with seedier ?
Is it safe at night ?

South Ginza seems a bit closer to Shimbashi workers area, good for lunch and some interesting shots I'd guess.
Yurakucho seems in walking distance for both.
by Sam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/25 16:42
I stayed my last trip in Bedgasm hotel in Iriya, it's not far from Asakusa. It was quite cheap for Tokyo and the owner is really nice.
by Anaid Perez rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/25 17:55
In one word, I have the impression that Kyobashi is more an office area while Shimbashi is more a bar area.

Having grown up in Tokyo and now living in Yokohama (as a woman, if that helps), I've been to Kyobashi perhaps less than five times in my whole life while I've been to or passed through Shimbashi countless times day and night.

So I was surprised when all the posters recommend Kyobashi over Shimbashi, but it does make sense that it's a "nicer" area, meaning that it's more sophisticated and quiet, especially because you can't make train transfers there. Meanwhile, Shimbashi Station has 1 Tokyo Metro line, 4 JR lines, and Yurikamome Line going through. Shimbashi is not a dangerous area or anything, but you will see more drunk local office workers during weekday evenings as well as big Chinese tour groups.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/25 22:33
I've stayed at the Royal Park in Shiodome (which is a 5 minute walk from Shimbashi Station) and a hotel that closed about a decade ago on the west side close to where the Unizo Shimbashi is now. I don't remember anything feeling close to seedy. I would honestly pick one based on which hotels you like best for the price point.

I've looked at the Mitsui and Intergate in Kyobashi for previous trips. (The beds at the Intergate Kyoto were like rocks so I am not going back) and I've looked at the Karasaka, Royal Canvas, and a Meitetsu near Shimbashi Station for this upcoming trip. I travel as a woman alone with a child and both areas feel plenty safe. We go to Hakuhinkan Toy Park every trip. If you're looking at the Remm Hibiya, you're closer to Yurakucho.

I think a few areas of Shinjuku and some of the shops in Akihabara were the only things I've ever felt were a little seedy in Tokyo.

Good luck figuring out where you want to stay.

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/25 23:43
Shimbashi is not a dangerous area or anything, but you will see more drunk local office workers

Some other things you will find more of in Shimbashi/ south Ginza compared to Kyobashi:
- aggressive touts
- sleazy bars with an outrageous cover charge
- rats and mice
- gangsters
- prostitutes

As for transport, Kyobashi is a five-minute walk from Tokyo Station, which has pretty good connections.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/28 16:06
Thank you all for your help !

@rkold: There is a new hotel opening in Kyobashi, "remm kyobashi". It looks nice. It faces to the main road though, donLt know if the streets are noisy that night ?

I am more leaning towards South Ginza now.
Cheers !

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/2/28 23:26
The Remm Kyobashi looks really nice. Though I probably wouldn't stay there because I like a bathtub and for over $200 a night (for the more expensive room with tub) I would just stay somewhere else.

I really liked the Mitsui Otemachi last June and this trip we are trying the Mitsui near Mitsukoshimae. I walked to the Mitsui Otemachi around 22:00ish at night with my child because we got in late from TokyoDisney.

I honestly think it depends on where in South Ginza you are how "seedy" it might be and your definitions of seedy might differ depending on where you are from. I grew up outside NYC. For me, I mostly experienced lots of Chinese tourists, but I am also an obviously foreign woman with a young child.

I don't go to bars, so I have no idea what the cover charges are anywhere in Tokyo. I like the Royal Park Shiodome, though my room overlooking the train and Tokyo Tower was noisy. I was worried about the Mitsui Otemachi in terms of noise, but I never heard a peep. The Remm Kyobashi should be perfectly fine. It's not on Chuo dori itself and by 20:30-21:00 Chuo dori quiets down a lot. We actually took a break in a Starbucks right near the Remm.

Good luck!

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/3/1 01:10
I used to work in Shiodome and really like the Shinbashi area for its liveliness. When I go now for business I tend to stay there. I wouldnft say that it feels unsafe at any time even late at night. (Single - mostly at least when in Japan, female traveller).

I specially like all the different bars and restaurants around the station.

Enjoy your trip toTokyo!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/3/1 04:42
@rkold: You get some discounts for remm kyobashi on typical booking sites due to the new opening (~150$). For South Ginza I was looking for Mitsui Garden Ginza or the new Royal Park which looks awesome (next to MontBlanc Ginza Store) !
I am originally from MUC, so I would say from a relatively safe place, ILd guess similar to Toyko.
Compared to Bangkok where I have been last time ILd guess it is much less seedy in Tokyo.

@LikeBike: I was looking for less touristy restaurants and locations, like i Thought Shimbashi and Yurakucho which are in close nearby. And of course Ginza for some shopping :)

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/3/1 06:43
Hi Sam,

The discount is for their regular rooms which are shower only. The showers look really nice, but I travel with a child, so I need a bath tub too. You have to pay for a fancier room which is not as cheap to get the bath tub at the Remm when I was looking for my dates. Honestly, I really liked the beds at the Mitsui. I have a bad back and the Mitsui Otemachi had super comfy beds and I am assuming the Mitsukoshimae one will also. It also has an "onsen" for guests only which is always a plus. XD;

I think the Royal Canvas is the new Royal Park opening in Shimbashi. I've stayed in the Shiodome Royal Park and the older of their two Kyoto hotels. I like the one Mitsui I stayed at last trip. The Canvas has some really good prices because it is new.

Enjoy your trip!

Re: Tokyo where to stay 2019/3/1 08:21
Just my 2 cents, if you want to stay near Shibuya I'd recommend the Dormy Inn Premium. It is actually a bit of a gem, nice rooms, good onsen bath, nice breakfast, handy location, free ramen after 9PM (which is actually really nice). It doesnt have room service or valet or anything, but what it does provide is top notch, minimal fuss. I havent stayed for probably 4 years though, dont know what it is like now.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread