Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About the Residence Tax after moving out 2019/2/27 10:39
Hi,

I would like to ask about the method in calculating residence tax. In my case, I moved to Tokyo and registered at the City Hall on March 27th, 2017. However, I started working at a company on April 1st, 2017. If I were to leave(stop residing in) Japan on 30th April 2019, how do I calculate my residence tax? From my understanding, the residence tax is calculated annually (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017). So if I leave Japan after staying here for 2 years 1 month, will they round up to 3 years or they calculate from the exact residing period ? Thank you.
by Black Joker  

Re: About the Residence Tax after moving out 2019/2/27 17:06
You will need to pay the residence tax for the entire 2019 regardless when you leave Japan. Ie if you officially leave on 3/January or if you leave on 29/Dec you pay the same.

The calculation is being done for you. Ie once you have decided to permanently leave Japan you will need to go to your ward office and deregister saying you are leaving. Then they will give you the bills for your remaining tax payments which you then can pay at a conbini (or by other means).

I know it sounds harsh to pay the tax for the entire year, but remember, you didnft pay any for your first year!

Good luck with your new life somewhere else!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About the Residence Tax after moving out 2019/2/27 17:08
Thank you for your response. Appreciate it.
by Black Joker rate this post as useful

reply to this thread