Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 15:00
Was walking home drunk after one too many drinks. Police stopped me and said they wanted to go back with me to the Koban. I reluctantly followed them. Had to stay there for 3 hours even though I repeatedly told them that I could go home by myself. They checked all my belongings, took photos of everything and finally got a hold of a friend that could come and pick me up. We both signed some papers, not sure what it said and after that I was free to go. I am really stressed about this. I haven't done anything wrong or illegal and I feel it was completely unnecessary for them to go through all this trouble when I could have just walked to the station and taken the next train home.

I have never heard about anything similar happening to any foreigners here, usually police just talk to you to see if you are OK and then let you go. They usually even let people sleep outside on the streets or maybe offer to take you home if you are too drunk.
by Shifttothis (guest)  

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 16:01
first why you sign something you do not understand?

If you walk drunk on the street, than you can be stopped.
Foreigners are easier target to check the visa status for over stayers.

Personally I have never been stopped by the police even when I was drunk.
Maybe you did something which you can also not remember well.

Anyway it is your right to walk out if you are not arrested, and signing a paper is something you do not understand than ask for translator/wife/Japanese friend or anyone else before sign the document.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 16:08
I was tired after 3 hours and just wanted to go home so I signed it. They also told me that I HAD to sign the paper or I would be causing more problems. They wouldn't let me leave, they had all my things. I asked repeatedly to leave but they said they had to keep me there until they could get a hold of a friend. I was drunk yes, but I could easily have gone home by myself.
by Shifttothis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 16:13
I guess if you want your answer why it happened you could go back and ask about that specific evening.

I experience that as you mentioned, foreigners are checked or questioned on the street, but now being hold. For this only I wonder why you had to sign a paper.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 16:49
I will probably give them a call. I have never heard of this before and have seen drunk people sleeping on the street. I wasn't doing anything to anyone or anything. But I am mostly worried about my future and if this will show up as a criminal record, even though I haven't committed a crime. Also I feel it was very demeaning and embarrassing having to stay there against my will and having photos taken.

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 17:00
You say you were kept against your will, but that could very well not be the case. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like you were arrested, so you were free to leave at any time. Next time, educate yourself and know your rights.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 17:21
I asked several times why I can't leave and they said it's their duty to keep me until everything's settled (a.k.a someone could come to the station) I was pretty clear-headed at this point but they still wouldn't let me leave or have my things back. I didn't do anything illegal so logically this shouldn't pose any problems for the further down the road, but this is Japan so I'm actually very worried.

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 17:41
"I didn't do anything illegal"
道路交通法第76条第4項
何人も、次の各号に掲げる行為は、してはならない。
一 道路において、酒に酔つて交通の妨害となるような程度にふらつくこと。
罰則:5万円以下の罰金
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 17:59
Well I have never heard of anyone getting stopped by the police. Even seen people sleeping on the streets and usually police just wake them up.

My biggest question is, will this somehow affect me in the future? I don't believe I was arrested as such and I could leave within 3 hours. I'm very afraid that future employers can see this information? Or for when I renew my visa?

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 18:37
It seems to me that the police thought that you were more drunk than you thought you were - a common occurrence for people who are drunk in the presence of people who have not been drinking. For your safety, they took you to the Koban. For their duty report, they took pictures and wrote it up. I suspect that what they had you sign was just a copy of their report. You were not arrested, therefore there will be no record to shame you in the future - just so long as you don't make a habit of it and eventually get arrested.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Walking drunk stopped by police Koban 2019/3/1 19:59
A call to that Koban seems to have confirmed this. Files will also be deleted after 3 years. Thank you for all the answers.

reply to this thread