Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/3 09:59
Hi everyone

I've been really overwhelmed with the different suggestions in itineraries to these 3 places. Hence, I'd appreciate if we could get some help please. Thanks.

Day 1 (30/6): Arrive Tokyo @ 10.30am
Day 2: Tokyo
Day 3 - 10: Kyoto + Osaka
Day 11-12: Tokyo
Day 13 (13/7) : Leave Tokyo @ 10am.

so effectively we only have 12 days. We want to spend 5 days at least in Kyoto, and 5 days in Tokyo too. We love food, sight-seeing, interesting places, anything but strenuous hiking (hence, we're skipping mount Fuji). We'd have two pieces of luggage altogether.

My questions are:

(1) I heard shopping in Osaka is cheaper than in Tokyo. My husband is not keen to go to Osaka as he thinks Tokyo is the best for shopping (he's only been to Tokyo). Tokyu Hand is a must to go for him. I have wide feet and I heard shoe shopping is good in Osaka. Are these true?

(2) Is it better to make Kyoto my base and make day trips out to Osaka, or should we stay in Osaka?

(3) Is early July too hot to do onsen?

(4) We'd love to experience staying at a ryokan (with onsen) for a night or two, complete with meals. Any recommendations?

(5) Do I get the 7-day or 14-day shinkansen pass for my trip?

Lastly, I welcome any suggestions. :)

Thank you!
by estpl6  

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/4 09:55
1) shopping experiences are the same. while there are subtle difference. well that is probably normal as no two paces are every the same.

5) doubtful either a seven pass will pay off. a fourteen will not with certainty.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/4 10:33
(1) Unless you are shopping for regional souvenir, it does not make much difference shopping in Osaka or Tokyo - they both have lots of malls and department stores.

(2) Since you have 5 to 8 days in Kansai, you can split your stays in Kyoto and Osaka. For shorter stay, it's too much hassle changing hotels.

(3) Any time is good for onsen.

(4) There are so many onsen in Japan. Within Kyoto prefecture, you can try Kurama. Closer to Osaka, there is Arima. Closer to Tokyo, there is Hakone. There are thousands more.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3933.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3558.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2292.html

(5) Neither, based on your proposed itinerary.
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/4 19:00
Osaka is a bit like a mini-Tokyo .... but without most of Tokyofs attractions. Ifm not a gshopperh but I doubt that the shopping is any better in Osaka than it is in Tokyo - though that may depend on what youfre shopping for .... shoes, I would have no idea. I would stay in Kyoto and not Osaka - just do a day trip to Osaka. If youfre only going Tokyo-Kyoto and back, then a 7 day pass is not really worthwhile.
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/4 20:30
Thank you everyone for your replies.

We intend to travel out to definitely Nagoya (for the sumo), Nara, Osaka and perhaps out of Tokyo (donft know where yet). Is if not worthwhile to buy the Shinkansen pass? Ifm worried that if we donft take the bullet train, wefd waste a lot of time travelling. Any thoughts? Thank you.:)
by estpl6 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/4 21:39
7-Day JR Pass costs 29,110 yen.
Transportation fee from Tokyo to Kyoto by using Shinkansen Nozomi is 13,910 yen.
According to your itinerary, you will take Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto and Osaka to Kyoto for returning trip, which costs 28,360 yen in total.
However you will stay in Japan for 13 days. Even if you purchase 7-day JR Pass, you can use it only for the trip from Tokyo to Kyoto by Shinkansen and JR trains in Kansai region since you will leave Osaka or Kyoto 10 days after the arrival from Tokyo.
It may be true that you may use JR Pass for the transportation in Kansai region, however it's only a small expenses.
In view of the above, JR Pass won't pay off for your proposed tour.
by Hirohiroboy rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/5 07:12
You can take the shinkansen without a JR pass. You just need to purchase a ticket.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/5 09:29
If you do Tokyo-Kyoto-Nagoya-Kyoto-Tokyo then the 7-day pass makes sense.

As for going somewhere like Tokyu Hands - they are all over the place, you don't have to go to Osaka to visit one. I also wouldn't consider one place better than another between the bigger cities when there are shops catering for millions of people unless, you were looking for something specific/regional and were heading to a niche/specialty area (say shopping for wood block prints in Tokyo).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/5 10:11
Thanks for the replies again. :)

I heard from people who came back from Japan that it's cheaper in Osaka than in tokyo for the same items - is that true?

Thanks!

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/5 12:45
I've not found that to be the case. I guess it depends on the items? I definitely have not seen price differences at Tokyo Hands. I do shop in Osaka, but I don't find it all that different than shopping in Tokyo, I just like to shop for specific things (like Lupicia brand teas of which there are area limited editions) and sometimes it comes in handy to try several branches of the same store because stock can vary.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/5 12:51
Excuse my typo please, it's late here. I mean Tokyu Hands. I do usually go to the Shinsaibashi branch because I am in Shinsaibashi and it is convenient to go there. I've not found price differences between Shinsaibashi or any of the other Tokyu Hands I've been to. It's just large and convenient there.

I've gone to multiple Lushes (like in Kanazawa and Osaka) and the prices were the same and multiple Disney stores trying to find specific merchandise. (In that case, like Lupicia, there wasn't price variations but the Ikspiari branches weren't tax-free vs. other locations of the same store.)

But again, I don't know what you are shopping for, but I haven't really noticed regional price differences in Japan for chain goods.

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/8 17:24
Thank you everyone for the help! You guys are awesome! I think we'd make our bases at Tokyo and Kyoto and make day trips out.

As for Japanese Lucipia tea, where is the best place? How about pottery? Thank you!

Regards

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/8 18:32
I'll toss in a further option regarding the onsen stay: I was in Kinosaki Onsen in September 2017 and I absolutely loved it! The atmosphere in the town as well as its onsen are so nice.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3525.html

The downside is that it is a bit far from Kyoto or Osaka (ca. 2.5 h by direct train) but I think it is definitely worth it. If you would be staying in Kinosaki Onsen for two nights, a half-day trip to Amanohashidate might be interesting as well.
by white wombat rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kyoto a must. Osaka? Shopping-Ryokan 2019/3/8 22:34
Hi!

Pick the Lupicia branch that has the Limited Edition you most want.

https://www.lupicia.co.jp/shop/

They have several regional limited editions. Personally, if you don't go to Kinosaki, if you go to Kanazawa instead for the day, they have my favorite Summer only limited edition. I don't remember the name, but it's Summer only and a smaller package. Other than that favorite limited editions have been Date Strawberry in Sendai and the Budou Grape in Okayama. Though the Teramachi 4 Seasons Tea and most of the Osaka Limited Editions look amazing. I don't really like Japanese plum in tea, it's a bit sour for my tastes.

I've done rotemboro in June/July BTW, because that is when I now get to go to Japan. We did the amazing baths at the Associa Takayama one year despite it being close to 29-30 C during the day time in Takayama. We just waited for the night to fall and went in the morning. Our other rotemboro experiences were actually chilly and rainy because it's still rainy season in areas. This year we're looking at a several day trip to Tohoku.

Good luck!

reply to this thread