Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/3 10:43
Hello,

Does anyone know if the Nozmoi traveling between Tokyo and Kyoto the non-reserved seats are designated as cars 1 to 3? If so, I'm assuming the car assignments won't change, right? Also I was wondering if you have any tips on traveling on the Nozomi in non-reserved seats? Example, any certain time of the day to avoid or time of the year? Another of asking is, how should I plan to secure myself a non-reserved seat traveling to Kyoto on a Nozomi. Thanks!

Sydney
by Sydney (guest)  

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/4 08:53
Does anyone know if the Nozmoi traveling between Tokyo and Kyoto the non-reserved seats are designated as cars 1 to 3?

Yes. See here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_tokaido.html

If so, I'm assuming the car assignments won't change, right?

No, it is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Also I was wondering if you have any tips on traveling on the Nozomi in non-reserved seats? Example, any certain time of the day to avoid or time of the year?

I personally avoid them at all times because I like to travel with as little stress and few surprises as possible. Seat reservations are very easy to make.

In particular, I avoid unreserved seats when I am not boarding the train at its first station, such as Kyoto. When you board at the first station, e.g. Tokyo Station, then you can most of the time easily find a seat, especially if you go a few minutes ahead of departure.

The times that are particularly crowded are around the beginning and end of the New Year holidays, Golden Week and the Obon holidays. I recommend to avoid traveling on these days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/4 10:50
Regarding non-reserved seats on Shinkansen, except during holidays and morning rush hours (lots of people take day trips between Tokyo and Osaka), if you are boarding at Tokyo station there is an excellent chance of getting a good non-reserved seat, because that's where the train originates. The same cannot be said at Shinagawa station, the next stop after Tokyo, because all good seats are likely all taken.

Lots of people get off at Kyoto station, so there is a good chance that you can secure good non-reserved seat.

Either way, be prepared to wait in line for non-reserved cars.
by tetsuko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/4 12:17
Why take the risk???..book a Reserved Seat..and avoid the stress..the extra cost is worth it knowing you can turn up at platform minutes before departure and have a seat!!..you will properly spend the money you saved on something less worthless .. if you tried to travel un- reserved!..not worth the stress and possible miserable holiday!
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/4 16:26
I am a non reserved seat fan. Simple reason:
- I travel alone, so donft need two adjacent seats
- I donft like the stress to need to be on time or to wait for the Nozomi for which I have a seat reservation
- it feels faster because I just hop on the next Nozomi
So for me personally it is more relaxing to take non reserved seat. I do that normally from Shinagawa or from Shin Osaka station and never had a problem including morning rush hour.

Yes, if you travel during golden week or obon or year end/new year, yes, you should absolutely have a seat reservation and get that as early as you can. But outside of those dates my personal advise for a relaxed trip is going non reserved.

I know this advice isnft popular and my Japanese colleagues think I am stupid as the company would pay for the reservation anyway, but I prefer it that way.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/4 18:01
Itfs always good to save money ..... but the difference between a reserved and unreserved seat is only Yen 830 (Y13,910 vs Y13,080) .... Ifll take the reserved seat, thanks. Obviously, YMMV.
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/4 22:28
Thanks for all your feedbacks.

I see many of you who've responded would rather go reserved seats. I have looked the price difference between reserved vs. non-reserved, it's only maybe $USD15-20. Not much. However the reason I'm asking is I am getting a deal from

https://www.japanican.com/en/special/tours/shinkansen/index.aspx#shink...

The deal is Shinkansen Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Tokyo + 1 Day subway/bus pass in Kyoto. The Shinkansen ticket is good for 7-days while the Kyoto 1 Day pass is good for that day only. Cost is around USD188/person. Only drawback is seats are non-reserved. I've looked at buying Shinkansen tickets at Tokyo Sta. This is way more and I've a few travelers. So I don't mind non-reserved as part of the deal.
My trip will be in June or July. Hopefully this won't be the peak season or hitting any major holidays.
I am thinking either take 7AM or around 10AM at Tokyo sta. This shouldn't be too bad, right?

Sydney

by Sydney (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/4 22:30
Also it appears the Nozomi runs every 10min from Tokyo to Kyoto. So the chances are good in having non-reserved seats (I hope).

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/5 07:02
If you take the Nozomi at Tokyo (and not at Shinagawa) the train starts there. So actually you will have seats for sure. You just need to queue up early enough. There are exact lines for the doors, no one will hop the line, all very transparent and easy.
It seems that you are not travelling alone, so you might simply want to queue for the following Shinkansen, making sure your group is relatively in front of the line of people queuing. If you want to sit close to each other. (If you are travelling alone however, you can literally arrive in the last minute (but to the doors of car 1 - 3) and just walk in. )
Back from Kyoto it's a bit different, as trains normally dont start there (maybe none start there, I am not sure). Some start in Shin-Osaka and some come from further afield. I would suspect that the ones coming from further have more people getting off at Kyoto than the ones from Shin-Osaka, but I am not sure. In Kyoto you might want to also queue up with your group early and potentially (just have a look at the previous Nozomi how full it is) split over two cars.

Enjoy your trip!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/5 09:40
@Likebike no one will hop the line
Tourists - they don't know how to queue. LOL

Generally, it's pretty easy to get a non-reserved seat departing Tokyo. From Kyoto, not especially hard - be prepared to get a middle seat and tell the people taking up space with their luggage to move their stuff - I do that, I'm not shy at telling Japanese people (that hope I won't sit next to them) to move their stuff just because they've spread out across two seats.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/6 00:01
LikeBike said "Back from Kyoto it's a bit different, as trains normally dont start there (maybe none start there, I am not sure)."

In looking at the Tokaido Shinkansen, it does appear the two end points are Osaka - Tokyo. So most likely the Nozomi train would come from Osaka. That shouldn't be too bad as far as non-reserved seats go. That's the hope. Yes, we do have a few traveling togther and that's why we've decided to get the Shinkansen + 1 Day pass deal. I wish they offer reserved seats option. Not sure why it isn't available. But we're happy we are saving quite a lot! A single 1-way costs around JPY13,910 which ~USD125.

Sydney

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/6 02:04
Btw, at least with normal tickets you can buy the reserved seat separately. Did you check if that isnft a possibility? Yes, it would cost a bit more, but with a group even I agree that reserved seats is easier.

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/6 05:35
Yeah, I read their fine prints. The deal is ONLY for non-reserved seats. If I can save USD60+ per head, I guess it's worth it. :)

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/6 10:07
Does anyone know if I can purchase just a SIM card with just data plan for use while traveling in Tokyo and Kyoto or during my trip in Japan? If so, any suggestion and where to get these? Thanks

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/6 15:03
Itfs better to open a new question for this. So you attract people who know about sims.

However, yes you can buy data sim. Actually what you canft buy (at least as far as I know) is a sim with voice if you arenft a resident.
I bought it at Biccamera ijimo it is called, I think. But there might be other offers out there.

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/7 09:59
Just a "btw", some of the north bound trains/Nozomi passing through Kyoto actually start at Hakata or Hiroshima, not all start at Shin-Osaka.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo to Kyoto 2019/3/7 10:20
Just a "btw", some of the north bound trains/Nozomi passing through Kyoto actually start at Hakata or Hiroshima

... or Nishi-Akashi (Nozomi 100), or Himeji (Nozomi 102), or Okayama (Nozomi 104 and 106, and some Hikaris).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread