Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/3 20:00
Me and my sister are going to travel to Japan in a few months and we'd really like to hire a kimono. The thing is we are both caucasian and we don't want to offend any natives by wearing their tradition clothing. Please let us know if it's okay or not.
by Luna (guest)  

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/4 09:23
Why should you offend.
You can buy or rent a kimono and wear.

There are even shops with English support on how to explain the correct way of wearing the Kimono
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/4 10:16
Lots of people do it. Lots of people like seeing it, including many Japanese. Lots of people hate it, either because of cultural appropriation, or just because it looks bad.

There is no consensus, but when you arrive in Japan you may notice that the Japanese are just as if not more guilty of misappropriating elements of western culture. My recommendation would be just to do what you want without stressing about what other people think.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/4 11:08
People who actually live in Japan take absolutely no offense to foreigners wearing kimono. The overwhelming consensus among locals is "Hey, foreign people are taking a participate interest in our culture. Cool!"
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/4 11:11
From my personal experience, I see more foreigners wearing kimono than Japanese. The first time I visited Kyoto (after Tokyo and Osaka) I was so pleased to finally see people wearing kimono, but when you get closer you realize they were speaking Chinese or Korean. The prettiest girl I have ever seen in kimono was a Caucasian girl, I remember because I snapped a photo of her. As long as you wear and walk properly (and accessorize accordingly), nobody will be offended.
by hashimama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/4 18:18
Note that most of the world sees this as cultural appreciation, not cultural appropriation. This is something I've learnt after living in asia for the past decade.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/4 21:34
Yes, it has become the western thing to be outraged over things on behalf of other people, such as when someone dresses up in clothing of a different culture. It's ridiculous how politically correct they've become.
by () (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/5 08:07
When you take something from an underprivileged group and make a bunch of money off of it because you had more connections, establishment, etc, that's appropriation. What you're asking about is simply a case of "When in Rome..." Most Japanese people want tourists to experience the things that make Japan unique.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/3/5 16:53
Thank you all for your quick replies! We just wanted to make sure so wefre happy to hear itfs no problem.
by Luna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/4/2 06:21
there are stores that offer discounts when you visit their store in a Kimono. So, no I don't really think it's a big issue (anymore?) (If it ever was)
by Mika (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cultural appropriation? 2019/4/15 14:20
What if it were up to people from somewhere else to preserve X culture? Many cultural practices that have fallen into obscurity or even vanished in China and Korea can still be found in Japan.
by ippatsu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread