Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Car rental & expressway passes 2019/3/5 06:29
I am planning to rent a car from April 18 to April 22. I will be picking up the car at the Odawara shinkansen station. I havenft decided yet if I will return the car at the same location or at the Tokyo Narita airport. I have some questions.

1) Whatfs the hours of operation at the Odawara shinkansen station and the Narita airport car rental locations? If I return the car after hours, do they have an after-hours dropbox where I could leave the keys?
2) If I drive to Narita airport, what would be the approximate toll for this trip from Odawara to Narita?
3) Do they rent the cars full-to-full, meaning that the car is given with a full tank of gas and the customer brings it back in full tank?
4) I understand that I can take an optional package for ETC card. But I read somewhere that only Japanese residents are allowed to use an ETC card and the tourists canft do it. So, even if I have the ETC card reader, will I be able to use an ETC card?
5) I am planning to drive to the Fuji five lakes area, Matsumoto, Ogizawa, Okuhida Onsen, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa, Miho Beach Park and Imamiya Tea Plantation. Which expressway pass should I purchase for this itinerary? It seems to me that the Central Nippon Expressway Pass will cover this entire route. But can someone confirm that? I am not sure if this pass will also cover the route between Odawara and Narita airport, if I decide to return the car there.
6) Similar to the question about ETC card, can I use the Expressway Pass as a foreigner visiting Japan?
by Aloke Chaudhuri (guest)  

Re: Car rental & expressway passes 2019/3/5 07:19
I think overall you need to investigate a bit more by yourself. Several questions are easily answered with some research.

1) Whatfs the hours of operation at the Odawara shinkansen station and the Narita airport car rental locations? If I return the car after hours, do they have an after-hours dropbox where I could leave the keys?
- Please contact the car rental company (or their web page)
2) If I drive to Narita airport, what would be the approximate toll for this trip from Odawara to Narita?
- Google will help you find that out
3) Do they rent the cars full-to-full, meaning that the car is given with a full tank of gas and the customer brings it back in full tank?
- Generally yes, but if you bring it back empty you'll need to pay for the gasoline recharge. Again, different rules with different companies might apply.
4) I understand that I can take an optional package for ETC card. But I read somewhere that only Japanese residents are allowed to use an ETC card and the tourists canft do it. So, even if I have the ETC card reader, will I be able to use an ETC card?
- Ask your rental company, but I dont think there is a ban on tourists.
5) I am planning to drive to the Fuji five lakes area, Matsumoto, Ogizawa, Okuhida Onsen, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa, Miho Beach Park and Imamiya Tea Plantation. Which expressway pass should I purchase for this itinerary? It seems to me that the Central Nippon Expressway Pass will cover this entire route. But can someone confirm that? I am not sure if this pass will also cover the route between Odawara and Narita airport, if I decide to return the car there.
- Did you say you you plan on 5 days but you have 10 destinations (including Narita) ??? That is not going to work. These locations are not so close to each other and you will want to do something else than only driving from one spot to the next. Also for several of these locations unless you want to do a lot of exploring OUTside of the main town, car is not the best. E.g. Matsumoto, Kanazawa are very easily reachable by train from Tokyo. Yes Shirakawa-go and Okuhida onsen might benefit from a car (although it is possible with busses), if you have a car you should also go to Ainokura instead of Shirakawa which is much nicer but harder to reach.
6) Similar to the question about ETC card, can I use the Expressway Pass as a foreigner visiting Japan?
- Give google a chance to reply.

Enjoy planning your trip!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread