Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/6 22:07
Hi everyone! My name is Ray! Nice to meet you!

This is my second travel to Japan using the JR Pass, but first time going to Hokkaido. I may need your suggestions about my Itinerary and what are the best options to travel from Osaka to Hokkaido, here's my details:

I will arrive in Osaka Japan around 8pm on March 16. My plan is to travel to Hokkaido Sapporo early morning the next day via Shinkansen with my JR Pass. The estimate time of travel is around 12hours via Google. So my question is;

Riding the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto requires a seat reservation, I saw this site earlier about Seat Reservation Online, but I cannot see Osaka in the list: https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/co...

I was planning to get a reservation the day I arrived at the airport in Osaka, but arriving at 8pm seems not enough after the customs right? I want to go to Hokkaido the next day, but I read that shinkansens are usually booked most of the time, and I don't want to stand all the way on this long trip.

Summary of my situation:
I arrive in Osaka Kansai Airport at 8pm, assuming I have enough time I can exchange my JR Pass the same night.
My plan is to go to Hokkaido the very next day with Ordinary Car reservation via Shinkansen.

by Rayster25  

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 09:40
The online booking will not work for you. You can make a reservation at the JR ticket office at KIX (it closes at 11pm).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 09:54
I cannot see Osaka in the list
That site is JR East. Osaka is not in the JR East area - simple.

You can't travel non stop anyway - you have to transfer at Tokyo.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 10:02
By the way, if you want to use the online booking you need to make an overnight stop in Tokyo (or elsewhere in the JR East area) to pick up your reservation there. (I.e., go to Tokyo on the 17th, pick up your ticket there (before 9pm), and go to Hokkaido on the 18th.)

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 10:46
You did not provide specific details of your trip nor type of pass you are purchasing.

If using a JR East South Hokkaido pass which offers 6 days flexible within 14 days, pl note the starting date conditions. Starts on the day you exchange the voucher.
The advantage of this pass is you donft have to travel / be on the move every day. This will also allow yr to break yr journey up towards Tohoku en route to Hokkaido. Alternatively, fly to Sapporo (Chitose airport) from kix using the special fares for tourists (ANA, JAL). Japan guide has all the details.

JR ES Hokkaido Pass
http://jreasthokkaido.com/easthokkaido/e/

Online Reservations must be collected one day prior to travel. You might need to rethink how you go about it.

Online reservations
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/Co...

Jr offices
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/co...

by grobea rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 14:11

@ grobea

The OP is taking the shinkansen from Osaka, JR east pass is out of the question.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 14:39

but arriving at 8pm seems not enough after the customs right?

Office hours : 5:30-23:00
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/exchange.html
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 15:12
If you really love riding Shinkansen or have a long vacation in Japan train makes sense, but otherwise wouldnft it be much easier to just catch a flight from KIX to Shin Chitose? And then you can get one of the Hokkaido passes or some other northern Japan pass that fits your itinerary (which we donft know about).

Enjoy your trip up North!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 16:15
@ shinji, nothing to stop OP from taking the Shinkansen to Tokyo to start his/her trip is there? Anyway, the choice is his/hers on type of pass or route of journey. It was merely a suggestion re the JR East Sth pass not Jr east which doesnft include Sapporo.

by grobea rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 18:27
It's actually more than 12 hours as JR nationwide pass doesn't allow riding on Nozomi. As per Hyperdia.com, you leave Kansai Airport at 05:50 and arrive in Sapporo at 20:33. A train buff probably will enjoy it.

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/7 19:43
Best option to travel from Osaka to Sapporo is by plane. I like travelling with shinkansen but spending whole day in trains seems like a waste of time even to me. If you book some morning flight you will have a half day you can spend walking through Sapporo (or resting after previous flight to Japan).
by haens rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/8 00:11
Hi guys, wow I was not expecting alot of people replying on this thread.

Okay, to give you more details: I am planning to use a JR Pass, although I did consider getting on a plane from Osaka to Chitose, but I have a 20kg baggage and the cost is pretty much higher than the JR Pass. I can re-check this again now and will check all of your suggestions.

I'm a guy btw, you can call me Rayster :P
by Rayster25 rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/8 00:23
I have one question, so I can reserve for the Shinkansen from Tokyo-Hokkaido at KIX?

Reason why I want to travel via Shinkansen is it can save me alot of money because after Hokkaido, I will be on Tokyo, Hyogo, Kyoto, and Osaka all in all for 25 days.

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/8 08:24

so I can reserve for the Shinkansen from Tokyo-Hokkaido at KIX?

Sure you can!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/8 23:20
Do you think there's still snow in Niseko on March 20? I just finalized my itinerary and between 20-21 I'll be go skiin, or do you guys have suggestion other than Niseko, this is my first time! :D

Re: From Osaka to Hokkaido via Shinkansen 2019/3/9 02:05
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread