Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/7 02:32
I am a U.S. citizen andI was working in Japan for a year. When my job was over I started the preparations to leave.
I went to city hall, I notified the immigration bureau that my employment situation has changed and I was no longer working while I get ready to move back to the U.S.
I was really worried in making sure anything that is left to be paid was paid.

What I am worried about is:
In September 2017, When I cancelled my NHK (yes my company had me pay) and Cell Phone bill (I paid for the actual phone in full, I was paying for the plan only), the only way I could pay was from my bank account.
I had been paying these bills directly from my account. I did not have a credit card then.
I asked them if I could pay the cancellation fees right there but they said no, that I had to pay in October only, and that they would take the money out of my bank account as usual. (both NHK and Phone Company)
I thought that was okay, so I left my bank account open for them to take the money out when the final bill comes in October, and left back to the US.

I am planning a trip to Japan this fall 2019. I was curious about how much money I had left in my account, I left a little over how much it would cost to cover NHK last bill and the phone. When I signed in online, it looked like no money was taken out at all. I don`t remember exactly how much I left but it was JUST enough and a little extra.

I lived in Japan before, and left before, and I have always had this bank account for 7 years even though I only lived in Japan 2 years total at different times.

I left Japan September 2017. I was busy as soon as I came back so I never thought to look at my account. I signed the cancellation papers and figured they would take the money out like they said. When I looked at my account this week I was so shocked.

I don't know if because these bills somehow were not paid that I will be denied entry into Japan as a tourist and it worries me. All together its about $120.

I want to ask them what happened, but I`m afraid I won`t be able to enter Japan to get the chance to...

Do you think they informed immigration they of the unpaid bills and will ban my entry or deny it?

I am very stressed about this.

Thank you

by Yaxeka (guest)  

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/7 09:48
immigration, NHK, and cell phone company are independent.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/7 09:50
Commercial entities wouldn't inform Immigration over a small debt. As a US citizen you are on the visa waiver programme. The grounds for denial of entry are hardly likely to be triggered over something trivial like that, especially as the phone and tv/nhk never bothered to get in touch with you.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/7 16:09
Definitely nothing to worry about. I had a unpaid phone bill (somehow they stopped taking the monthly fee from my bank account) and didnft find out until like 4 months later when they already had a lawyer chasing me (at my old address though).

I had no problem getting into Japan then not any time afterwards.

And yes, I paid my debts as that is obviously what I am die to them.

The only negative impact might be of you like to get a contract with that phone company again in the future. You might be on their blacklist. Maybe.

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/7 18:43
Did they send you any 'overdue' notifications or court papers to you former address?

by SRJ rate this post as useful

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/8 08:31
I don't know if they sent papers, but my landlord never contacted me about it. He has my contact information. Or maybe he didn't care to contact.
by yaxeka rate this post as useful

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/8 08:48
The only reason I know about this is because I checked my account this week. If I never checked my account I would never know. Now that I know I feel worried because I want to pay.

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/8 20:59
Japanese people are highly responsible, your former landlord would have informed you if there was something.

I don't see a single reason for you to worry about!

Try to enjoy the preparations for the journey.
by SRJ rate this post as useful

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/13 05:24
Thank you everyone for your answers. I feel a little bit better. I worry a lot and like my things to be in order so seeing my account balance really freaked me out. Thank you!

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/14 10:05
btw, I think I read recently that in the future banks are planning to deactivate accounts that have not been used for a period of time. Maybe a year...
by dunit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Denied entry into Japan as a tourist? 2019/3/14 21:55
I was thinking in this case maybe my bank somehow froze and they couldn`t get the money out but they said they would take the money out the following month. So I don`t know if in less than a month my account would freeze or something? I always paid the phone and NHK by bank account, so they didn`t have the wrong account number.
I never leave that much in my account when I leave Japan so if they did deactivate it someday, it would be okay. I will be careful with that though, I never thought of that, thank you!

reply to this thread