Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What pass to get? 2019/3/9 15:14
My plan is to visit Tokyo, Takayma, Toyama and the alpine route.

Possible finish around Hakone.

What JR pass would work best please?
by Simmo29  

Re: What pass to get? 2019/3/9 15:40
Probably none.

But provide more info for better answer. Eg number of days each location etc
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What pass to get? 2019/3/9 16:28
Let me elaborate. I'll be in Toyama around 17 November, so the plan would be to do the alpine route.

So just wondering re best way to organise a pass/tickets for that period!

Thanks in advance.
by Simmo29 rate this post as useful

Re: What pass to get? 2019/3/9 16:41
From your answer I deduct that you havenft done yet some own research. Otherwise youfd know that all passes have a limit of how many days they are valid. Which was the information PP was after. So do some research, eg here https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359.html and if then there is still something unclear, feel free to come back to this forum.

Enjoy planning your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What pass to get? 2019/3/9 16:43
I've done research, and so far can determine that any passes or tickets for the alpine route only appear valid up till November 10.

I'm aware of the JR pass, but query now is how best to plan the Alpine route on my dates.

Re: What pass to get? 2019/3/9 22:53
You provided just one date, Nov. 17th, and even that is an "estimate". Passes are for a certain amount of days. You haven't mentioned how long you expect to be in any one place, so your itinerary is very incomplete. If you provide locations with days in each, someone may be better set to answer your question.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: What pass to get? 2019/3/10 00:14
Hi!

I also believe if you're going to the Alpine Route in mid November it's recommended you start in Shimano Omachi rather than Toyama because service between Bijodaira and Murodo is often suspended due to the weather.

https://www.alpen-route.com/en/about/seasonal.html

Please see this official information. It's very possible with your mid November dates you might not be able to do the entire route and reach Toyama at all.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: What pass to get? 2019/3/10 08:44
Probably no pass, maybe the 7-day pass depending if you actually manage to do the alpine route or not. Much of your mystery plan does not use JR or provide any benefit getting a pass. Because you are going when the alpine route may be closed, you plan falls to pieces then and you cannot do the routes you are thinking of - then a JR pass might save some money going the long-way around the impassable pieces.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: What pass to get? 2019/3/10 11:24
Thanks all.

Will need to make some contingency plans if the route is closed.

Sounds like doing it the other way around may possibly be easier, weather depending.

reply to this thread