Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 16:56
We plan to visit Shirakawago from Toyama. We plan to leave Toyama by bus at 8AM and arrive at Shirakawago at 9:30AM. My question is: How much time should we spend walking around and enjoying the important highlights of Shirakawago? Because we'd like to leave early to proceed to Kanazawa to visit the castle, kenroku-en garden and 21st century museum (which are near to each other). Do you recommend we take the 1:50PM bus from Shirakawago and arrive at Kanazawa by 3PM? Your tips can surely help us! Thanks in advance.
by quicksilver (guest)  

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 17:47
It's a relatively small town. In general, I find a couple of hours is normally sufficient. Some people complain that an hour is too long, some state they need 4 hours. As such - the 1:50PM bus may even be too much time....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 17:49
It is very difficult to say without knowing what kind of things you find interesting, what you want to see/get out of a visit to Shirakawago, etc. I would suggest a day for each Shirakawago and Kanazawa as a starting point, to make sure you don't rush. Kanazawa especially should be given at least one full day, if not longer.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 18:04
Thank you for all your feedback! Unfortunately, we only have 1 day for both. That's the reason we plan to visit only those 3 close-knit spots in Kanazawa. Perhaps 2-3 hours in Shirakawago will be enough for us, I hope!
by quicksilver (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 19:07
2 hours would be heaps. It is a pretty town, for sure, but poking around inside the houses isnt particularly thrilling.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 19:13
If you only have one day, I would advise skipping Shirakawago altogether so you can focus on Kanazawa. While the sights you have picked are close together, you can't see them all before they close if you don't arrive until 3pm; the garden alone should be given 1-2 hours at least! Spending a whole day in Kanazawa will allow you to see everything you want as well as the Higashi Chaya district (beautiful, preserved geisha district) and the market. The castle can be underwhelming as the main keep is no longer standing, but the gate across from the garden entrance is quite lovely.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 19:59
You've all been very helpful. We'll take note of all your tips and try to come up with the right decision for us.
by quicksilver (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 21:39
90 minutes - that might be more than enough or a little light, but it is a good amount. I go often and I have guests bored after 45 minutes, but hardly anyone wants more than a couple of hours so two hours tops. It is really tiny even if you walk to the observation area or the upper rice fields.

People stay the night or a whole day - I don't understand that - there are better places to spend time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/13 23:17
If your also visiting Takayama - then the Hida Village is quite nice as an alternative to Shirakawago.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5901.html

On why people stay overnight in Shirakawago - it's mainly to stay in a Minshiku Gassho hut. I enjoyed it but once was enough....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/14 07:26
@mfedley - yes, I know, but even then I hear some interesting comments on the experience, and not necessarily particularly cheap either. I still think one of the more "interesting" plans I saw (on the TA forum) was from someone planning a three day stay (I actually think it was going to be three nights)!
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Time needed to walk around Shirakawago? 2019/3/14 07:51
Frankly if you have only one day, Kanazawa is it! It has gardens, the old district, good food etc etc.
Shirakawago is over rated (result if good photography) and overrun with foreigners.
No point rushing to 2 towns as youfll spend the majority of yr time waiting for bus/trains.
by G (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread