Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tattoos when working in japan 2019/3/17 21:07
Hi All,

I plan on getting a full sleeve tattoo on my left arm before Japan, to cover up some unfortunate (and rather severe) scarring.

I will never wear short sleeves or roll up long sleeves whilst in Japan (this is basically what I've done for the past decade anyway), hence no one will ever see the tattoos in public, regardless of the weather.

I have 3 questions that I am seeking advice for:

1) would I have any problems getting a work visa with tattoos (i.e. will they ask about tattoos on an application form)?

2) would I have problem getting a job (as a software engineer or DevOps/cloud engineer)?

3) What type of tattoo (style/artwork) if any, do you think would be most "acceptable" in Japan?
by Jonzeh  

Re: Tattoos when working in japan 2019/3/18 10:41
1) No, it is not like you have to state it on your curriculum vitae.
2) Depends on the employer/work environment.

Um, if I may offer my opinion (from a Japanese currently living in Japan, have lived quite a few years in some other countries, including where tattoos are more accepted), wearing a long-sleeve shirt constantly to cover up a scar is one thing, but getting a full-sleeve tattoo to cover that up is another.
For example, I know a local who always has a heavy glove on one hand, was told he has a bad scar there from an old work accident. No issue at all.
If you are ever asked (for example letfs say it happened to be in summer when you get your interview and the interviewer simply gets curious why you are wearing long-sleeve), answering goh I have a scar hereh and goh I have tattoos hereh would simply come across differently.

Another thing is, well maybe you are used to it already (meaning wearing long-sleeve constantly) but it does get very hot and humid in summer in Japan – I see you are in the UK now – the humidity is quite a bit.

I donft know why you consider getting a tattoo gbeforeh coming to Japan – thatfs what you seem to be considering – if you definitely want to get a tattoo, you could wait till you get to Japan, see how much of tattoo you actually see around you, and decide. Thatfs just IMHO.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos when working in japan 2019/3/18 15:52
Agree with the PP.

Tattoo also present a problem outside of work . Mainly in onsen or swimming pools. Onsen for me is one of the best Japanese experiences, so not being able to go to all of them because of a tattoo would be an enormous blow to MY enjoyment of Japan. (Yes a few onsen/sento allow tattoos, but these are really few. ) A scar however is no problem at all. I donft know why, but it would seem to me that Japanese have a more relaxed attitude towards their own body. Maybe thanks to going to onsen and seeing thus often bodies in all types of shapes, ages and mutilations.

And yes as PP said in summer itfs hot and that includes the workplace. There is an official policy to put air conditioning at work in summer to 28 C in turn employees are allowed to wear short sleeves and no necktie: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Biz_campaign
28C is really warm for work. You get used to it and some employees bring their own handheld fans. But short sleeves (and light weight textiles) help.

A scar wouldnft be a problem a tattoo however would.

So as PP said, maybe you can first come to Japan, life here a year or so and if you then still feel you need to get that tattoo and donft mind the consequences you could still get it on some trip home?
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos when working in japan 2019/3/18 22:45
3) None. Obviously really stupid or offensive designs would draw more negative attention, but generally speaking there is no special style of tattoo that the Japanese might find more forgivable.

Honestly if itfs important to you personally to cover your scars, get the tattoos. Will it close a few doors for you in Japan? It might. Will it make you unemployable? Can say from personal experience absolutely not. Ifm tattooed, so are a few guys Ifve dated. Cover up, no problems with work. Ifve never personally found long sleeves to be an issue in the summer, I wear them in my free time as well as work. Ifm generally more inclined to believe that the type of material used in an item of clothing has a greater impact than how long the sleeves are. Totally possible to dress sensibly for the heat while being restricted to long sleeves. If youfre still debating whether or not to get it done then the answer is that you should think some more. But if you can say that if you werenft going to Japan then you would definitely get tattooed, then I think you should just do it because itfs obviously what you want. Just my opinion.

Another thing; donft apologise for your tattoos in Japan. It may be the case that you are getting them to cover scarring that you donft want to see anymore, but if people ask about your tattoos you should never feel obligated to use that as an excuse for having tattoos. Had a friend with a similar story and Ifm not convinced it would make much of a difference anyway. Japanese people who judge foreigners for their tattoos or whatever other weird traits they might have, theyfve usually already made their minds up about what they think of your decisions before they asked you about why you made them.

By the way getting tattooed is in Japan is a pain and seems to be becoming more of a pain for political reasons. Not only that but the number of quality artists and tattooers was never that good in the first place.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos when working in japan 2019/3/19 19:34
A quick Japanese Google search on "will they ask about tattoos in a job interview" (I Googled in Japanese) does tell us that people have been asked about it and that some were forced to leave their job once the employer found out that the employee secretly has a tattoo.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%E3%82%BF%E3%83%88%E3%82%A5%E3%81%8C%E...

It was also big and controversial news that, in 2016, the City of Osaka actually asked its public servants to see if any of them had tattoos or not. Perhaps it's different for engineering jobs or for foreign employees, but there is indeed a risk. And if you can't get a job, you basically can't get a work visa.

Tattooers in Japan generally have the idea that if they're going to get a big tattoo, they need to be devoted to it. So it's not a matter of design. It's a matter of devotion. Some people say things about yakuza designs or what not, but I don't believe there is any difference as far as employment is concerned. In short, if you don't want to take any risks, you shouldn't get a tattoo before coming to Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread