Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 09:22
Hey all,

Heading back to Japan for the 7th time in November. Sadly dates not flexible but still got a good amount of time in Japan.

My thoughts.

Tokyo 10-13 November

Matusmoto 13-15 November

Kanazawa 15-17 November.

Takayama - 17-19 November

Nagoya 19-21 November

At this stage from the 21st to 23rd I am open to ideas. I fly out of Narita the night of the 24th.

Thoughts?
by Simmo29  

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 10:40
Not enough time in Tokyo. Too much time in all the others.

Sorry to hear you cannot adjust you timings. Same to miss out on so much. Although bonus is that you will never feel rushed.

I would add more days in Tokyo at then end. Allowing for more day trips out of town.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 10:59
Thanks Hakata.

I've been to Tokyo some 6 times and do love it.

You've given me food for thought.
by Simmo29 rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 11:12
Hi!

If you've been to Tokyo 6 times already, you really don't need to spend more than 3 days there. Your trip would be a bit hard if this was your first trip to Tokyo but it's not, you said this is your 7th. I don't spend a large part of my trips to Japan in Tokyo anymore either. I love Tokyo. But I've done just 1 week trips to Tokyo in the past. I don't need to spend more than 3-4 days.

I guess I would ask: where have you been already?

My next question would be do you want to go to Nagoya or did you pick Nagoya just because it made sense coming back from Takayama to go to Tokyo?

I happen to be a Kanazawa fan so would recommend time there.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 11:18
Not sure what you're unhappy about. The 2nd half of November is an excellent time to be in Japan to see the autumn colors, though it's earlier for higher elevations.
http://www.nihon-kankou.or.jp.e.wp.hp.transer.com/kouyou/

Plus if you have been in Tokyo before (and you likely have), then 3 days is more than enough.
For Kanazawa, don't miss the beautiful Kenrokuen Garden. It's the absolute best.
https://goo.gl/MkGZYp
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 11:25
If you have been to Tokyo/Japan six time. That is great info to put in the first line of questioning.

I'll ask the same as the PP. Where have you been? So you don't get suggestions on places you have already been.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 13:50
Thanks Hakata, I did mention it that this will be my 7th trip to Japan.

I've visited Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Tokyo as mentioned.

Much of my time has been for work in Tokyo.

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 14:29
Gooday. I'd cut Matsumoto back a night (actually I'd cut it back two, but some poeple love it and would think two days arent enough). I'd cut Nagoya back at least one night, and spend that at Hikone (near Maibara). Then I'd spend one night mid way between Hikone and Narita, like maybe Atami or Hakone Yumoto, or even better Kamakura. Somewhere within 2.5 hours of Narita.

Have fun, looks like a nice trip.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 16:04
Overall I like your plan. Vacation not rushing :-)

Unless you want to do something specific in Nagoya I would either cut it completely or reduce it to one day. If you cut it completely you could spend time in Nara, Ise, Hikone, Himeiji... in those days you have. Kyoto could also be nice because of autumn colors.

I like the suggestion of LazyPius to spend the last night in Kamakura unless you have an early flight then Ifd spend the last night in Narita (I am no good at getting up early). If you spend the last night in Narita and like onsen , I can recommend the Narita View Hotel. It has a rather large onsen facility including several rotenburo. It is currently under renovation but will reopen I think in early June.

Talking about rotenburo you come close to Hirayu onsen when in Takayama. You should either add a day for staying there and soak or at least make a daytrip.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 16:09
I'd do one night in Matsumoto, because the castle is great.

Hikone castle is also great, and one night on Lake Biwa is a very nice thing to do.

I like Nagoya but I think mostly because we were there in sakura season and got sakura overload at Inuyama castle and everywhere else we went. I want to go to Meiji Mura so will be back in Nagoya at some stage.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of Kanazawa, there's a lot to see and then you could head out to the Noto Peninsula.

Enjoy your time in Japan.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 17:34
Appreciate all the suggestions.. Gives me some great ideas!

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 17:41
Kanazawa is a wonderful destination in late November - amazing fall colors and less crowds compared to the usual suspects. Good dining and nice museums.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/22 23:09
It's a shame that your dates for locations cannot be changed - but I understand.

I agree with Matsumoto for 2 nights is too long. Have you thought about using Matsumoto as a base for also visiting the Alpine Route which should have some nice fall colours somewhere along the way.

The amount of time in Kanazawa and Takayama looks about right - a half day trip to Furukawa might be a nice slow change of pace from Takayama which is something I enjoyed when I visited a few years ago. When visiting Takayama - do make sure you visit the Hida Folk Village - is one of the better of it's kind in the country and I should know....

Kanazawa is not my favourite city in Japan, but there is plenty to do so most people will struggle to see the best parts of the city within 2 days. I would personally find hiring a car for 2 nights from Kanazawa and driving around the Noto Peninsula being highly advantageous but this is just me....

I have not spent much time in Nagoya, but really lived Inuyama (it has a nice castle) and loved Meiji Mura which is located close to Inuyama. It's the premier Meiji building museum in the country - it's just huge if you like that kind of thing.

A lazy but nice option for the last 2 nights is the Izu Peninsula. Hot Springs, nice walks, volcanic ocean coastlines and such are some of the highlights.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/23 07:30
Just with autumn colours, we were in Kawaguchiko, Kamikochi and Takayama at the end October and beginning of November last year, essentially at Kawaguchiko they were approaching peak, Kamikochi they were done and dusted, and Takayama (around the first few days of November) they were at peak (and just amazing).

Happy planning!
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/24 11:02
Cheers Pious,

Definitely think I will cut down to a night in Matsumoto.

Am hoping to do the Alpine route - weather permitting.

From what I can see if the weather would not permit the full trip there still would be a way to get to Kanazawa on that day.

Re: Thoughts on this itinerary 2019/3/24 12:07
From what I remember reading it is recommended to start the Alpine Route from the Nagano side in November just in case there are weather related issues because the snow comes to Murodo first.

https://www.alpen-route.com/en/about/seasonal.html (Look for Winter)

I would assume you would slowly make your way back to Nagano where you can catch a shinkansen to Kanazawa.

I loved Hida Folk Village in Takayama. I thought it was much more interesting than Shirakawa Go which seemed like a tourist trap.

Another idea since you are already nearby is visiting Nagano itself. I think it's quite underrated. I thought the leaves were beautiful in Kawanakajima and I liked Ueda.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread