Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip to Shirakawa-go from Takayama 2019/3/25 17:12
Hi,
Will be visiting Takayama staying for a few nights exploring the region. I was thinking of staying in Shirakawa-go but found out that most of the ryokan do not accept single guests for some reason (not really cost related apparently).

Is doing a daytrip to Shirakawa-go worth it without staying in the farm houses?

I will be going to Takayama in summer. I hear Shirakawa-go is better seen in winter colors.
by Day (guest)  

Re: Day trip to Shirakawa-go from Takayama 2019/3/25 18:58
It is pretty but slushy and slippery in winter. I've not been in summer but I think it would be nice
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip to Shirakawa-go from Takayama 2019/3/25 19:34
I have stayed as a single person at Shirakawago in 2012. However, I got the Shirakawago Tourist office to find a house to stat in (if there was no accommodation I was going to stay in Takayama if not).

However, note that there is not a whole lot to do at Shirakawago specifically after 5PM......
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip to Shirakawa-go from Takayama 2019/3/26 06:21
There is a historical village just outside of Takayama with very similar houses to those seen in Shirakawago.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5901.html

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip to Shirakawa-go from Takayama 2019/3/26 11:23
A day trip is what I did. I wanted to stay at a farmhouse overnight as well, but it is definitely not cheap.
It's fine as a day trip and you can be done with the place in just a few hours (don't miss the village overlook as well). I was stunned to see countless numbers of Chinese tourists all over the place. The whole area is really quite touristy - if you want to get away from that, you'd need to go to some other place like Gokayama.
The Hida Folk Village mentioned above was definitely wonderful - it has some good English explanations and you can go through so many more buildings - the big difference is that they are not occupied anymore. You also get a much better sense of what people in the past had to go through in order to survive their harsh winters.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread