Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Citizen residing in the Philippines 2019/4/6 13:02
My husband is a 26-year old Japanese citizen who was born and raised here in the Philippines. My father-in-law, a Japanese citizen as well, died 3 years ago and my husband doesn't have any idea if he is still eligible for any of the benefits (ex. hospitalization and education) now that he is married and has not started paying taxes in Japan yet. We got married a week ago and we're going to register our marriage in Japan Embassy here in the Philippines within this month.

He has not enjoyed any of the benefits he is entitled to since he doesn't live in Japan; he only visits the country with his family at least once in every 5 five years. My mother-in-law is currently receiving pension benefits from Japan every 2 months.


1. Is my husband still eligible for any benefits in Japan even though he is already married and has not started paying taxes yet? If not, could he possibly make a claim (lump sum claim, perhaps?) for those unenjoyed benefits?

2. My father-in-law has a property in Japan and my husband is the only registered son on his koseki. The amortization is not updated even at the time my father-in-law was still alive. Will my husband still be able to claim the property? Will the property's registration be automatically be transferred to him? If not, should we go to the local city hall to transfer its registration?

3. I and my husband would like to pay Japan taxes so we and our future children could enjoy the benefits. What should my husband do to start paying Japan taxes since we're currently living here in the Philippines and still don't have any plans to reside in Japan? What is the minimum amount he needs to pay for us to be eligible for the basic benefits in the future like the hospitalization and pension and education for our future children?

Thank you!
by T Castro (guest)  

Re: Japanese Citizen residing in the Philippines 2019/4/6 17:10
Congratulations on your marriage.

I assume you are referring to health insurance and pension.

1. Since he has not paid into the Japanese pension system, I donft think he has any claim right now at all. Lumpsum payment is for those people who have worked in Japan for some years and have paid into the pension system, and who leave Japan for good (so not going to stay in Japan till they retire and to receive pension later).
Maybe your mother-in-law lived in Japan before, and has paid into the Japanese pension system for some years so that she is eligible?

2. Probably he will have to hire a tax attorney who specializes in inheritance related matters to help you with the inheritance and to get the title to the property transferred. It will not be automatic. And also it will be your mother-in-law and your husband who both will be legal heirs, so that needs to be discussed between the two how to go about it.

3. But you donft have income in Japan, do you? Since your husband has never lived in Japan, he is not on any gjuminhyoh (resident register) though he has a gkosekih (family registry).
If you are going to live in Japan, based on your income you will be contributing certain amounts into the national health insurance and the national pension schemes, but you are not planning to, correct? You will not be able to claim any health insurance benefits outside Japan.
Also I donft understand what you mean about education – unless your children are registered on your husbandfs Japanese gkosekih when they are born, they are not considered Japanese nationals, and if that is the case they are not eligible for the elementary school/junior high school education which is mandatory in Japan. But once again you will need to be in Japan.

It might be easier if your mother-in-law contacted the city hall in Japan to sort out things.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Citizen residing in the Philippines 2019/4/8 15:01
1) no payment, no work in Japan means no benefit.
You or your husband needs to enroll and pay and still you can not utilize the so called benefits.
And if you get it will be almost non since there is no enrollment before.

2) ask lawyer or someone who can inform you. This may not go automatically

3) You or your husband need to work 25 years before you can enjoy any pension in Japan.
Your husband is 26 years so no pension now.
Unemployment benifits you will not get since you and your husband never worked in Japan

It sounds you want to come to Japan and have benifits, I think your husband should try to find work because both of you will not get anything
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Citizen residing in the Philippines 2019/4/9 01:47
I'm not detailed on these matters except for a couple of things.

1. Any child between ages 6-12 living in Japan, regardless of his/her nationality, has the right to enroll in public elementary and junior high schools. In fact, the government is enpowering the system so that all foreign children in Japan would receive proper education in one way or another. The following link is just for backup. http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/shingi/chousa/shotou/042/houkoku/08070301...

2. You don't need to "work" in Japan to receive pension. You just need to pay it for 10 years or more, after you turn 20, in order to receive a certain amount once you become an elderly. It is also not uncommon for a parent to pay pension for his/her child while the child is still in college, except that notifications will be postal mailed to the child. Again, here is a link for backup. https://www.nenkin.go.jp/oshirase/topics/2017/20170801.html

3. Just to add to the other answers, national health insurance doesn't work like pension does. At least while you're young or middle-age, you get benefits only while you're paying for them. So you can start paying once you start living in Japan, and your medical fees in Japan will be deducted to a certain percentage. As for various taxes, you will be automatically paying it if you live in Japan, and if you don't you can get arrested. But not paying Japanese tax while living overseas has nothing to do with benefits in your future.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread