Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass or single tickets? 2019/4/8 12:50
For Tokyo to Kyoto to Hakone and back to Tokyo-- is it worth getting the JR Rail pass or is it better to use single tickets?
by Aklemba (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass or single tickets? 2019/4/8 14:42
If you do all that in seven days. Then a seven day pass will be about the same as single tickets.

If you travel to nara himeji osaka also. Pass would be slightly better.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass or single tickets? 2019/4/8 14:47
Being just at the break even point means that you need to assess the pros and cons:
Pro:
- flexibel to add daytrips with jr

Cons:
- no Nozomi
- fixed on JR trains (eg Odakyu from Hakone is not ok)
- risk to loose pass
- canft pass through automatic gates

I guess there are more pros and cons depending on your evaluation.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass or single tickets? 2019/4/9 08:52
Is it worth it? Actually no, and there are cheaper options than the JR pass - some are easier to access than others.

That round trip on JR would cost me less than 24,000 yen (closer to 22,000 depending on which trains/options I pick). I have a Tokyo-Kyoto trip in May that I have budgeted at Y10,000 because I have flexible timing on the day (using Nozomi). The Japanican round trip eVoucher is usually Y23,000 as an example and good for overseas visitors (I don't qualify for it - fine print does allow local use if travelling with visitors).

Also consider doing the round trip back to Tokyo and then going to back to Hakone - the extra time is not so much and the cost (Tokyo to Odawara/Hakone-Yumoto) is modest.

Also, with the JRP, you do need to do the exchange and reservation of tickets at a counter does take time. Without the JRP, tickets are lots quicker.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread