Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary advise 2019/4/9 10:14
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some help regarding my little itinerary please! I am thinking about traveling around late Sep/early Oct, trying to get out of peak tourist timec.
My itinerary is as follows:

Tokyo
*Kanazawa
*Shirakawa-Go - Overnight
*Takayama
Kyoto
Hiroshima
Osaka

Basically, I do not know how to do the Kanazawa - Shirakawa - Takayama route, should I do this in reverse? If I do Tokyo to Kanazawa, then I would look at getting the Hokuriku Shinkansen. But if I do Tokyo to Takayama, then I did see that there was a bus that goes there, which I thought might be more scenic? Basically, Ifm not after the most direct or fastest. Just focused on more scenic trips and things that are off the beaten paths. When I was looking at the bus, the city of Matsumoto came up. So maybe we could go Tokyo - Matsumoto - Takayama? Would that be a good scenic route to take?

I do know that to get to and from Shirakawa will have to take the Nohi bus. But I have been reading into it and now I am torn on where to stay overnight, it will be either Ogimachi or Ainokura. Ogimachi is obviously the most well known and therefore packed with tourist but has more things to do/look at. While Ainokura is smaller, more quiet and less tourists. So this begs the question on where to stay. I could go to Ogimachi first to look around, then head off to Ainokura for the overnight stay. What are everyonefs thoughts on this?

Sorry this is so long winded, but I have been wanting to visit Japan for most of my life and I donft know when I would be back after this trip. I guess Ifm just trying to edo it rightf the first time :)
Thanks for the help!
by Erin (guest)  

Re: Itinerary advise 2019/4/9 15:07
I would reverse them.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advise 2019/4/9 17:33
Hi, a really good way to do it is :

Tokyo - Matsumoto - train/bus to Kamikochi (overnight there is nice, but it can be a day thing) - bus to Takayama (pretty run through the mountains) - bus to Shirakawa-go (I'd only spend a few hours there unles you are staying overnight) - bus to Kanazawa - train to Kyoto (but a nice deviation is at Hikone to see the castle overlooking the lake).

A nicer train trip is Nagoya - Takayama (then bus Shirakawa-go and Kanazawa). The reverse is pretty enough, you then get on the shinkansen at Nagoya and go through to Kyoto (maybe stop at Maibara to see the Hikone castle - you might have guessed I am a fan).

No matter which way you go, it will be nice.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advise 2019/4/9 21:17
I am visiting Japan in October and was hoping for it to be less busier than what it is now (during Sakura) and avoid the hot summer.

If your landing in Tokyo and leaving from Tokyo go to the further part first and make your way back.

My first trip to Japan, I landed in Tokyo 7am, took the shinkansen to hiroshima. then for my holiday I went from Osaka (Kobe and Kyoto), Hakone and Tokyo.

hope you have a lovely time.

R
by r43534 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advise 2019/4/9 23:33
Actually late Sep / early Oct is one of the best seasons to visit Japan. If you would like to see koyo, you could go to Hokkaido, but if koyo isnt your purpose you can visit the traditional route of Japan and enjoy warm but not hot weather.

Enjoy your trip!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary advise 2019/4/10 09:40
Thank you for all your responses!

You have given me much to think about. Look likes the reverse is the way to go then. Thanks for the suggestions regarding Kamikochi. Though I am unsure what to do with luggage and getting to & from there. So how does this sound, Tokyo to Matsumoto via bus, stay overnight there and visit Kamikochi as a day trip? Then from Matsumoto to Takayama via the bus for 2 nights. Take the bus from Takayama to Shirakawa-Go for an overnight stay. Then another bus to Kanazawa for 2 nights.

The other thing I am also undecided on is if I should still go to Ainokura or not. I honestly donft know which one to stay at, I have read so many mix statements on both Ainokura and Ogimachi. I would value your opinion on this!

Then have 3 to 4 nights in Kyoto. 1 or 2 nights in Hiroshima and 2 or 3 nights in Osaka.

The reason I'm thinking of ending it in Osaka was because I was going to fly out from there, but I have not yet decided on what airline I am flying. If not, then I will just get the train back to Tokyo for a few extra night stays, then fly out.

And Lazy Pious, looks like I will be making a short detour to visit Hikone ;)

Good to know that I will be travelling at a good time and with nice weather!
by Erin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread