Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Matsue - Izumo Taisha - Miyajima 2019/4/11 22:07
Hello, could you please tell me if it is possible to visit izumo taisha from matsue, then go down to miyajima for a couple of hours and get back to kyoto in the night?
ps. i am a JRPass holder
thank you!
by ioannis pi  

Re: Matsue - Izumo Taisha - Miyajima 2019/4/12 09:21
While do-able. It is 6-7 hours of transit.

A couple of hours in Izumo and 3-4 at Miyajima.

You'd be looking at a 13 hour day, plus meal breaks.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsue - Izumo Taisha - Miyajima 2019/4/12 10:36
It is 6-7 hours of transit.

I think this is underestimate.

It will take 1+ hour from JR Matsue (or Matue Shinjiko Onsen Ichibata station) to Isumo Taisha mae (Ichibata). From Izumo Taisha Mae to Miyajimaguchi JR station it will take about 6 hours. You need to take ferry to Miyajima and back. Then Miyajimaguchi to Kyoto it will take about 3 hours. So total will be more than 10 hours on trains etc. Yes, it's doable but quite hectic. (from a guy who traveled from Athens to Kalambaka to see amazing Meteora in one day. It took 11 hours round trip on the train, starting 8:00 at a hotel in Athens and came back at 23:00. Yes, it was doable.)
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Matsue - Izumo Taisha - Miyajima 2019/4/12 13:40
Izumo is a nice place to visit, but due to it's location I'd prefer to spend my time either in Miyajima or Matsue itself.

Izumo: https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-3286

Izumo is a nice town but apart from the shrine it does not have a lot of things to do. The museum attached to the shrine is nice though....

Matsue has lots to do and I think that to do Miyajima justice it's worth at least half a day as it's much more that just the shrine. There are some nice temples and great walks there.

I really like Izumo, but more from a historical perspective. When I first visited, I was a little disappointed as I just saw it as a large shrine with lots of Japanese tourists (compared to overseas tourists).....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Matsue - Izumo Taisha - Miyajima 2019/4/13 05:40
Thank you very much for your helpful information guys! I really appreciate it.
by ioannis pi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread