Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese gets annoyed? 2019/4/14 20:05
Hello do japanese people gets annoyed if you invite them to eat and drink outside more often? Like every week? Because before when i invite our sensei who is a japanese i get a reply but now i got no reply at all thank you.
by Mikee (guest)  

Re: Japanese gets annoyed? 2019/4/15 07:59
You can't generalize that way. May this person doesn't like to go out much. Maybe this person doesn't have the funds to go out all the time. Maybe this person, a teacher, doesn't have the time to hang out with you every week. This is a person and his/her behavior cannot be generalized like that. Maybe this person doesn't like to hang out that much with you. Who really knows.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese gets annoyed? 2019/4/15 08:54
I agree with the above. It’s about that particular person, with his personal circumstances, preferences, and maybe budget too. Who knows, maybe he (I don’t know what kind of “sensei” he is to you but) is not supposed to go out personally with his pupils, or maybe he has a date. Who knows.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese gets annoyed? 2019/4/15 09:17
generally speaking, every week is too much.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese gets annoyed? 2019/4/15 11:52
「Hello do japanese people gets annoyed if you invite them to eat and drink outside more often? Like every week?」

Like with people of any ethnicity, whether Japanese people get annoyed at being invited out to eat every week depends entirely on the relationship between you and that person. For example, if I met a Japanese person at a mutual friend's party and we talked for five minutes, and then I immediately jumped to asking them out to dinner every weekend, yeah, they'd probably think that's a bit too much too soon, and get annoyed, or at least weirded out, by the frequency of the invitations.

On the other hand, if you and a Japanese person are dating each other, inviting them out to dinner every week would be perfectly normal.

「when i invite our sensei who is a japanese i get a reply but now i got no reply at all」

Everyone's situation is different, but having worked in education for many years, I would feel a little strange if a student was inviting me out to eat every week. Some schools specifically prohibit teachers from fraternizing with students, and even if they don't, student/teacher is a professional relationship before it's a social one. I had plenty of students who I enjoyed seeing in class for an hour a day, yet still wouldn't have wanted to spend private time with on a weekly basis.

In any case, if you've been repeatedly inviting your teacher to social functions and getting no reply, that seems like a pretty clear sign that they don't want to accept the invitations.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese gets annoyed? 2019/4/16 01:18
I don't know about being annoyed, but I agree with Ken that being invited every week is not common at all. One would normally start thinking that it's not a "real" invitation but just a routine which doesn't really require a reply.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese gets annoyed? 2019/4/25 12:52
Depends on how close you two are.

If you two have close relationships, inviting each other out every week, especially weekend, is very normal. It's just what friends do. But if you are simply his student, then it might not be ethical for him to go out with you very often.

Why not just ask the man for a straight answer, if you are worried?
by NonsenseVirgin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese gets annoyed? 2019/4/27 03:57
Every week is pretty frequent since it's almost like a standing date so that might be an issue. I'd have to agree with John B though, it's too general of a question to say for sure. Depends on circumstance, relationship, and level of comfort between people.
by Ahuffman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread