Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Allergies when I am in Japan 2019/4/14 23:32
Hello, so I have some severe allergies and wanted to make some laminated cards to hand to people when at a restaurant, food vendor, or store.

Would anyone be able to translate my allergies and for them into a question so I can print them?

Does this contain any (allergies) in it?

I am allergic to (

Here is what I am allergic to.
Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Shellfish(all types), Peas(snow peas, green peas, sweet peas, etc)

if I can have it in Japanese and the romanji so I can practice saying it that would be wonderful, thank you.
by Ben (guest)  

Re: Allergies when I am in Japan 2019/4/15 09:18
Something like this might help; but please note that the cards suggested for allergies say “I have allergies against (allergen). Please note,” and nothing more, not mentioning the health hazard should you consume any, or anything like that. So if you need something more specific or clear, you might want to seek some additional assistance.

http://justhungry.com/japan-dining-out-cards
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Allergies when I am in Japan 2019/4/15 12:01
「Hello, so I have some severe allergies and wanted to make some laminated cards to hand to people when at a restaurant, food vendor, or store...if I can have it in Japanese and the romanji so I can practice saying it that would be wonderful, thank you.」

Not to discourage your enthusiasm for practicing the spoken language, but if your level of Japanese is such that you can't o the translation yourself, you might be best off not relying on your pronunciation and just showing the person the card once you've got it finished.

Also, be forewarned that the average food vendor/shop clerk might not be able to confirm what allergens are in the product they're selling, and if they answer "I don't know" it's not because of a dismissive attitude towards your condition, but because the information you're asking for is beyond their knowledge.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Allergies when I am in Japan 2019/4/17 07:25
Those are some tough allergies to deal with foodwise. I like your idea, but I agree with the other poster that some people might not know. Or worse, they might say it's fine without knowing.
by Ahuffman rate this post as useful

Re: Allergies when I am in Japan 2019/4/17 11:49
I know this tends to be semi-controversial advice, but if you have serious and severe allergies I would check out HappyCow and their list of vegan, vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurants. In general, if a restaurant is willing to work with dietary restrictions like veganism, they are more likely to be aware of and more helpful when it comes to allergy issues.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Allergies when I am in Japan 2019/5/16 15:19
この**食品(food)**には()が入っていますか? If you are in a restaruant, use **料理 (dish - ryouri)** instead of 食品.
Kono syokuhin niwa () ga haitte imasuka?
ピーナッツ、木の実、貝類・甲殻類、豆類(サヤエンドウ、グリンピース、えんどう豆など)
Pi-nattu, Kinomi, Kairui, Koukakurui, Mamerui (Sayaendou, Gurinpi-su, Endoumame nado)

Shellfish could be used in Dashi sometimes, so don't forget to ask that your allergens are not contained in Dashi, too. Some people just think about what's in the food visually and forget about what was used in Dashi.

You want to clear if you are okay with soybeans when you ask the question. Most food contains soybeans as soy sauce and miso paste are made of soybeans.

これらはだしにも使われていませんか?Korera wa dashi nimo tsukawarete imasenka?
Are these not used in Dashi, too?

Hope it helps!
by sayaka0627 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread