Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Golden Week, shopping questions 2019/4/17 18:06
Since this year's Golden Week is shaping to have 10 straight holidays this time, I was a bit concerned about our upcoming travel there in a couple weeks (landing on April 29). We are just going to stay within Tokyo and travel around there, but I have some questions:

1. Will shop hours (malls, department stores, smaller shops, etc) have different hours this time around? We were planning around going to Shinjuku, Akihabara, Shibuya, Ueno, and Harajuku for shopping but are concerned if more shops will be observing the extra holiday time and be closed.

2. Similar to the previous question, will shotengai/shopping streets (i.e. Ameyoko) be open?

3. Are there particular parts in Tokyo that are especially busy during GW?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
by Dio (guest)  

Re: Tokyo Golden Week, shopping questions 2019/4/17 22:05
I want to stress, I've not been to Japan for Golden Week in about a decade, but I use to go to Japan fairly regularly for Golden Week.

I don't remember any shopping being closed, in fact if anything, there is more shopping open, sometimes with special sales and shopping areas are super busy. So to me, Harajuku and Shibuya are likely to be busy during Golden Week with all the shoppers. There also tends to be lots of events at Big Sight, I've gone to Dolpas there multiple times for Golden Week.

I can't remember about banking, I suspect that is going to be more of an issue unless you can get money from convenience store ATMs. I've personally not always had good luck with that, but I think it is based on your particular country and ATM card. I don't remember having specific issues though in '09 vs. New Years '05-'06 where I do remember having problems because of banks and the post office being closed.

The azaleas tend to be beautiful in Tokyo during Golden Week and oddly enough there was some pretty wisteria near Big Sight.

Enjoy your trip!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread