Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying raw fish 2019/4/22 12:52
Apart from the supermarkets which sell fish, are there any local mongers from where fish can be bought. I am aware of the bigger Tsukiji market types but its not possible to visit them every time. Please suggest any local fish mongers.
I stay in Edogawa, so some thing close to that would be ideal but open to all suggestions. My main interest is in buying silver fish and Cat fish.

Thanks
by Ukai (guest)  

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/4/22 17:11
If you're in Tokyo at the moment, I don't think it is so difficult to find a local fishmonger. Walking around a local shopping street is an easy way to find it out. Also, I did a quick google search and it seems 魚源商店 in Edogawa is popular amongst the locals. Hope it helps. Good luck!
by neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/4/22 17:20
Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunately in the last one year of my stay here I have never been able to find a local fish monger. May be I always looked at wrong places. What you sent certainly helps. Is there any term that I can put on google to get more such areas near me? I try for fish mongers and i am always transported to Tsukiji or Adachi fish market, whereas what i am looking for is places like you sent.
by Ukai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/4/22 18:13
Independently operated businesses are rapidly decreasing, and fish mongers are at the top of their list. But ask your neighbors for 魚屋さん (sakana-ya-san) or 鮮魚店 (sengyo-ten). They would know best.

Also, a quick Google search gave me this map of shopping arcades in Edogawa-ku.
https://www.city.edogawa.tokyo.jp/documents/2615/301214.pdf
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/4/23 04:55
I don’t recall seeing a catfish at a fish shop in Tokyo, perhaps because I wasn’t looking for one. Catfish is popular in landlocked prefectures (like Gifu and Gunma), and not as much along coastal prefectures.
by Uop (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/4/23 05:59
Or you could try checking out the basement market at Ameyoko Center Building.
Exotic and etnics foodstuff.

http://www.tenkai-japan.com/2013/12/14/b1f-in-ameyoko-center-building/
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/4/23 12:32
I just typed in "魚屋 江戸川区" in Google. "鮮魚店" also means a fishmonger.
I think the reason people recommended you a big fish market such as Tsukiji is that cat fish (ナマズ) and silverfish (I'm not sure what it's called in Japanese though) are not commonly sold in a small fishmonger. If you really want it, going out of Edogawa-ku would be a way for it. Or just ask around local people. Enjoy the last year of your stay in Japan :)
by neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/4/23 12:52
Sorry, I missed that you were looking for silver fish and Catfish. As mentioned, Catfish is hardly sold in most parts of Japan including Tokyo. Another thing is that real fish mongers in town would typically sell only common fresh fish that are in season.

So if you have a special ethnic recipe in mind, again as suggested, look for the ethnicity. For example, if you want to cook Vietnamese food, look for Vietnamese grocery shops, and they would most likely sell fish suitable for Vietnamese dishes.

Another option is to ask any shop, including supermarkets and department stores, that sell fish, and make a special request. But this would only work if you're a frequent customer.

If you could specify the ethnicity of the dish you want to make, someone may be able to find a shop for you. Also, please clarify what you mean by "silver fish".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/4/23 13:14
Thank you everyone for the amazing responses. A lot of new things learnt and lot of new places to explore.

@Uco: By Silverfish, i meant pomfret (added link below). Its a sea fish and i was hoping to find it easily in here but seems thats not the case. I will try hunting at the various fish mongers but I kind of know it will not be available here. Cause i have never seen these fishes anywhere. May be will keep hunting international grocery stores to see if they are found.

(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enJP819JP819&q=pomfret+fish&...)
by Ukai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying raw fish 2019/5/9 19:00
thanks for sharing new places to explore.
by grahamhowe rate this post as useful

reply to this thread