Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meeting people in Japan 2019/4/22 19:54
Solo trip to Japan, 5 weeks long (august/september). 2 weeks in Tokyo, 3 weeks elsewhere (not decided yet).
Have been trying to meet people online to talk about Japan (trying to learn what to [not] do) and possibly meet in person.
The catch is, the results have been quite bad.
Any tips on what to try?
Thanks
by liskacek  

Re: Meeting people in Japan 2019/4/23 13:15
I think this is the second time I've seen your name today, including on the thread below.
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+168420

For one thing, I can say that your questions are too blurred. Apparently, you're not really trying to find answers for something culturally specific like, "I'm hoping to do a day trip from Tokyo to a place where I can enjoy hiking." It's difficult for people to answer questions with as less clarity as yours.

If you simply want to immerse yourself in a group of people without having to ask questions or to contribute on throwing in topics, why not join a Meetup event?
https://www.meetup.com/ja-JP/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting people in Japan 2019/4/23 22:56
Yes, it is second time. Both questions are connected.

Sorry for not being clear enough. Will try to keep it concise.

Trying to ask for tips on where is it possible to meet Japanese people online to learn more about the country, before I travel to Japan in person.
by liskacek rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting people in Japan 2019/4/24 00:33
Trying to ask for tips on where is it possible to meet Japanese people online to learn more about the country, before I travel to Japan in person.

I thought I already answered that question by suggesting Meetup, but I guess you're looking for something more closer to a pen pal. Well, that's difficult to find today.

But I do notice a lot of foreign tourists walking around with someone who they obviously just met. Perhaps they meet each other at one of those "guest houses" or "hostels" where backpacker type people stay to befriend other fellow tourists.

Meanwhile, if you want to learn about the country by asking questions in advance to your stay, go ahead and ask specific ones such as all the other questions you see on this forum.

I hope you have fun learning!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting people in Japan 2019/4/24 06:08
People these days don't strike up online friendships and meetup. Especially random tourists that will only see once. Just the way the world is nowadays.

If the aim is ro learn the dos and dont of Japan. Use google. So many blogs, websites and personal experiences online to expand your knowledge.

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting people in Japan 2019/4/28 22:52
Try HelloTalk. Contrary to the above I think itfs very easy to find people to meet with.

r/travelpartners on Reddit might also be worth a look if you donft mind meeting other travellers (not Japanese people).
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting people in Japan 2019/4/29 06:00
There are so much info on the internet (YouTube especially) nowdays that all the answers are there already. Meeting fellow travelers may be good for camaraderie, but I doubt that they can provide more information than the internet.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread