Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Requesting for kosekitohon 2019/5/2 11:00
I got married to a Japanese last year outside Japan. But unfortunately until now our marriage is not been registered in Japan. Do you have any idea regarding late registration of marriage in Japan?

Aside from that the reason why our marriage is not yet been registered because wefve been ask to pass again his kosekitohon, we got his kosekitohon in Kyoto before our marriage. But as of now we are living here in Tokyo.
Does anybody knows where or what site I can ask for my husband kosekitohon?

Thank you
by Girly (guest)  

Re: Requesting for kosekitohon 2019/5/2 13:30
we got his kosekitohon in Kyoto before our marriage. But as of now we are living here in Tokyo.

Ask you husband to get it from Kyoto then, where his birthplace/family is registered. He can do it through phone/mail or go in person.

Most probably you can't request it yourself since your marriage is not registered in Japan yet, thus you are not added in his koseki.

According to (in Japanese, ask your husband to read it)
https://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/toko/todoke/koseki/index.html
Japanese need to register overseas marriage within 3 months at nearest embassy or in Japan.

Read this 'Registering your overseas Marriage in Japan' , may differ depends on nationality
https://bit.ly/2V5NeW2

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Requesting for kosekitohon 2019/5/2 14:05
Can my husband apply his request for kosekitohon in Kyoto from my current City address (Tokyo)? And have a return mail from Kyoto City Hall to my residing address?

So that his kosekitohon will be send to my current address.

Is that possible?
by Girly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Requesting for kosekitohon 2019/5/2 18:04
I am assuming you are non-Japanese, your husband is Japanese, you got married outside Japan according to that country's law. You (or your husband) has not reported the non-Japanese marriage in Japan yet.

There is an obligation for Japanese nationals to report significant changes in their status (such as marriage) to the Japanese authorities, either in person at a city hall in Japan or through the Embassy/Consulate of Japan if outside Japan, and within 3 months I believe if it is outside Japan. So it is the Japanese spouse's obligation to report. Depending on where you got married and which city he will report to, the details might be different so better check with the city hall where he intends to report it.

In our case, we got married in the UK ("we" being myself Japanese, with my non-Japanese husband, because we lived in the UK back then), and after we came back to Japan, we took our UK marriage certificate, its translation into Japanese (done by myself, the Japanese spouse), my "koseki tohon" from my parents' and my non-Japanese husband's ID, I believe. (There was a small fine for delayed reporting.)
Then my UK marriage to my non-Japanese spouse has been recorded into the remarks column of my independent koseki (moved out of my parents' koseki and I created one on my own).

We registered our marriage in western part of Japan, and now we live in Tokyo, so when I need a copy, I request that city/ward for a copy per post/snail mail, enclosing a self-addressed envelope and the issuance fee in postal money order. The city/ward is likely to have its own form for request and a specific address to send the request to, so ask your husband to look into it.
If your husband wants to, he can also move his "koseki" from Kyoto to Tokyo, where the two of you live.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Requesting for kosekitohon 2019/5/2 21:53
Thank you so much for your time :)
Truly appreciated...
We both live in Tokyo but not at the same house, because I live in my companyfs rent house.

Can he apply for kosekitohon in my current city. And request a return mail from Kyoto to my address?

Is that possible??
by Girly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Requesting for kosekitohon 2019/5/2 22:22
As far as I remember, the applicant needs to enclose a copy of their ID (with the address shown), and it is in principle sent only to the address that he/she is registered with. So your husband might have to apply for one to be sent to him first, then he might have to bring/send it to you. (You can ask him to request for one with self-addressed envelope with postage for gexpress mail,h so that they know he wants it quick.)

In any case, your husband is the one on his gkosekih right now, so he needs to check with his city/ward.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Requesting for kosekitohon 2019/5/3 00:11
From your comments,
it seems your partner's family register [koseki] has been managed by Kyoto City.

He needs to know
in what Ward of Kyoto City his registered domicile [honseki] is settled.
(If he is not sure and he still has that koseki tohon handed before marriage,
he checks the description of his honseki.)

When he submits his marriage notification [kon'in todoke] at the office of that Ward,
his family register certificate is not necessary.

He can send by postal mail to that Ward Office
his request for his family register certificate to be sent to his registered Tokyo address.
https://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/bunshi/page/0000145608.html
The handling fee 450 yen is to be paid with Teigaku Kogawase Shousho,
which is issued by Japan Post Bank and available at a post office.
The issuance fee is 100 yen.
https://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/kojin/sokin/hikoza/kj_sk_hkz_kogawase...

Koseki touhon is a (complete) transcript [touhon] of a family register [koseki].
Kyoto City recently computerized its family register management;
now a certificate of all the matters / individual matters
works the same as a former transcript / abstract.
For his purpose of marriage notification [kon'in todoke],
a certificate of individual matters [kojin jikou shoumeisho] is enough.

We both live in Tokyo but not at the same house, because I live in my companyfs rent house.

Are you and he registered as residents to the same City?
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Requesting for kosekitohon 2019/5/4 00:01
to get his kosekitohon, his ID is necessary. it is highly unlikely that they send the documents to addresses other than the address on his ID. (also, the documents should be sent to the applicant, him.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread