Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A Katakana and Hiragana mixed name? 2019/5/7 02:53
Hello! I've been wondering if it's possible to have a surname that's in Katakana and the first name in Hiragana?
For example when the parents have an English surname, which is written in Katakana and get a child which shall get a Japanese name written in Hiragana.
by Mary (guest)  

Re: A Katakana and Hiragana mixed name? 2019/5/7 11:46
Yes, it is possible.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A Katakana and Hiragana mixed name? 2019/5/7 13:05
Correct me if I'm wrong..
Yes if one of the parent is Japanese, and the child has Japanese nationality,
For foreigner it'll be written/record in Katana form.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A Katakana and Hiragana mixed name? 2019/5/7 14:14
For foreigners it's officially recorded in Latin characters (residence card, juminhyo, etc.), though some places like banks will use katakana if their system doesn't like Latin characters.

Re: A Katakana and Hiragana mixed name? 2019/5/7 15:39
"when the parents have an English surname"
if a child has only foreign nationality, the name should be written in katakana or kanji.
https://www.j-cast.com/2017/11/23314705.html?p=all
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A Katakana and Hiragana mixed name? 2019/5/7 22:14
It depends on what documents you're talking about and what nationality the child in issue is.

In official Japanese documents, every person without Japanese nationality would have his/her full name written in katakana.

Meanwhile, it is quite common for a person of Japanese nationality to have parents that share an English surname. For example, if a Japanese woman marries an Englishman and convert her surname to his but do not give up her nationality, their child would have both Japanese and British nationality. Then, the child's surname would be written in katakana while his/her given name can be registered in hiragana.

On the other hand, one is free to write his/her name in any way they want if it were on unofficial documents.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: A Katakana and Hiragana mixed name? 2019/5/7 22:43
In official Japanese documents, every person without Japanese nationality would have his/her full name written in katakana.

Glad to know that my residence card is unofficial. I swear the officer who handed it to me looked legit, though!

reply to this thread