Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation help (deathly doof allergies) 2019/5/10 00:41
Hi guys,

my husband and I will be travelling to Japan for our honeymoon in the summer.

We're very much looking forward to our trip, but I am a bit worried, as my husband is deathly allergic (like eat it and die if help doesn't arrive very fast) to peas, lentils and all kind of beans (except green ones and soy obviously). While I do speak a few bits and pieces of Japanese and can read Hiragana and Katakana, I'd really like to ask somebody to translate the following question/statement into Japanese so that we can print it out and take with us when we visit restaurants:

"Does this dish contain any kind of beans (not soy)/ lentils or peas? My husband is deathly allergic to any of them."

To make matters worse, I am also following a strict gluten-free diet so I'd like to be able to ask the following:

"Does this dish contain any gluten (wheat/rye/barley)? I am not allowed to eat it."

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Conny
by ConnyMOL (guest)  

Re: Translation help (deathly doof allergies) 2019/5/13 14:33
Here’s my translation – but you realize I am just an anonymous internet poster; please have them verified with your hotel concierge in Japan or someone you can trust.
Another thing: when you say “beans” and “peas,” do you know by plant variety name exactly what he is not supposed to eat? For both we used the general term “mame” (豆 in the text below). What about nuts? Also, any cooking utensil where beans/peas might have been cooked can affect him, I assume? Then you might need to write out more.

"Does this dish contain any kind of beans (not soy)/ lentils or peas? My husband is deathly allergic to any of them."
この料理には、豆類やレンズ豆は入っていますか?(大豆は問題ありません。)夫は死に至るほどの強い豆アレルギーです。

"Does this dish contain any gluten (wheat/rye/barley)? I am not allowed to eat it."
この料理には、グルテン(小麦、ライ麦、大麦)は入っていますか?私はグルテンが食べることができません。

Also please see:
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+168324
Though the link provided covers mostly "preferences" and not sufficiently strong words for allergies.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translation help (deathly doof allergies) 2019/5/17 01:46
Oh wow, thank you so much for your help. Will do as you suggested as soon as we arrive.

Hmmm, we don't have much of a pea variety here in Germany. With pea we usually mean the normal bright green ones. Interestingly enough I just realised that the term "bean" (at least according to Wikipidea) already includes lentils, peas and the likes. The only thing from this plant family he can eat are green beans of the fresh variety.

Nuts are not a problem. But you're right, cooking utensils are a problem too.

So I might want to write down the following sentence as well: "Please make sure that none of your cooking utensils came in contact with any kind of beans."

Once again, thank you so much!!!
by ConnyMOL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread