Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Report Writing 2019/5/12 19:16
Hi All,

In December, I'll be visiting Japan for the last time after visiting all of Japans prefectures in some depth (apart from Shiga and Kagoshima which I'll also visit over Christmas). My aim is to also revisit Kyoto to see some of the less visited sites along to see how the city has changed since 2014.

After revisiting Kanazawa last year - I am very aware of the huge increase in tourist numbers which makes it not that enjoyable to visit some sites. When I visit Japan, I normally write posts which get people looking at less visited locations as I've already visited the main sites.

I guess my open ended question is the following - should I just focus on showing the much less visited sites in outer Kyoto (which is what I am doing) or should I also show the impact of mass tourism on Kyoto along with how to minimize the impact on the locals and maximise the positive on Kyoto as a whole?

Looking forward to hearing other peoples perspectives - specifically locals and people who have visited Kyoto often over a prolonged period of time
by mfedley  

Re: Kyoto Report Writing 2019/5/13 11:50
You donft have to write anything, but you certainly can if you want. And when you do write, you should write what YOU want. Travel and write for yourself, we enjoy reading reports of trips that were enjoyed.
by Kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Report Writing 2019/5/13 12:30
Hi!

I've really enjoyed reading some of your travel reports, particularly ones that hit on places that I know I would never have found out about on my own like: Osarizawa gold mine and Dakigaeri Valley. I'm particularly keen on trying to make it to the former on my next trip.

But on the other hand... I am unsure how much any of our writings are really used by the general tourist populations when hoping to plan a trip to Japan.

I have never been a resident of Japan, but I guess I would probably count as someone who has really seen Kyoto change a lot since their first trip. My first trip was in March of 1999 and the whole of Japan was just very different. I have to confess, there are a lot of changes I really like, from small things like being able to use credit cards more places to more personal things like more food options. There are so many more hotels too, which is also sort of nice. I feel like I have more options.

I went to Fushimi Inari twice pre-2010 and I remember in 2002 it was just so empty. My friend and I weren't exactly sure where we were as we followed paths and we were the only people there for the most part. I've not been back since 2010, but judging by how many people on this forum have it as a "must-do" I am sure it is going to be completely different. I don't know how the list of "must-do" spots really gets chosen. I do appreciate the thread where we were all previously recommending places to you, because while I've been to Nagaoka Tenmangu several times, I'd not heard of Yokokuji, and they're coincidentally having their big ajisai festival while I am there.

I hope you enjoy your trip.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Report Writing 2019/5/13 13:07
should I just focus on showing the much less visited sites in outer Kyoto (which is what I am doing) or should I also show the impact of mass tourism on Kyoto along with how to minimize the impact on the locals and maximise the positive on Kyoto as a whole?

You should visit the places you want to visit.

There is more than enough commentary in the media complaining about the detrimental effects of mass tourism on Kyoto and mixed views around if it is good or bad. But the city itself (and some other parts of Japan) really fails to address its own problems. For example, their solution to FIVE YEARS of crowded buses is to put the price of the day pass up slightly, not put more buses on the roads. You don't really need to point out the inability of various crowded places to deliver the promise of tourist brochures or the over-the-top false expectations (the magic of the tea ceremony or geisha spotting in Gion, no thanks).

Also, while I have only been visiting Kyoto for a decade, there are still many many great places that simply don't have tourists and are not over-run by check-list tourism. Sure I go to some of those sites regularly because they are worth visiting (once), but the city has a whole lot more to offer, and if you want to explore those and help others discover those gems, then that is a worthwhile endeavour. If I had a spare month there are hundreds of locations I would seek out, most wouldn't appear in most guide books.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Report Writing 2019/5/13 13:42
Thanks for the info and feedback.

On the impact my posts have - I know it's almost none but I do know that some people link my posts on different blogs and such so I want to have a positive impact.

Some comments on visiting some of the outer sites - I know exactly what you mean by that. I've spent probably 2-3 weeks in Kyoto (including day trips out of the city) over the years and should be able to see many other major secondary sites which are not on JG or LP.

Also rkold - I think you've also helped mean quite a bit with finding out of the way places as well so it's good to finally pay it forward. When I visit more rural locations I check JG, Trip Advisor, local tourism association websites and even google maps!

I'm also being conservative with my expectations of how busy Kyoto will be. I'll be visiting Kobe first so will have a couple of posts prior in case my views change while I am there.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Report Writing 2019/5/13 15:38
During last 10 years, I have been in Kyoto 5 times, always a week. It is my number-one town, love from 1st sight - and really I cannot say that it has changed too much in this period. More visitors yes from big neighbour, but mostly in top 10 tourist spots.
I am from northern Europe, really hate big crowd and I am master of looking deserted places - and always able to discover such! Even in Higashiyama there are places where no people on daytime! We stay usually in Gion, and it has many small streets and temple-yards what are mystical and empty in the evenings.
So many temples and gardens what are not noted in travel books, are quiet and lovely. Riding along the river brings you into nice places. Suburbs are lovely too!

by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Report Writing 2019/5/13 22:53
I've written a lot of travel reports over the years (probably nearly as much as you do) but I focus on one very specific area. My experience is people have read my travel reports and messaged me in private about specific locations such as Toyako, Hokkaido. This is probably the case because there is very little information on the Internet about remote locations so they will go to the travel reports. I think Kyoto is way too popular and there is so much material out there.

If you want I would suggest going to obscure locations such as Sanjusangendo which is actually one of my favourite temples to visit and not Kyomizudera or Yanaka Shrine.

I'm sure others have suggested something similar but hope this helps!
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Report Writing 2019/5/13 23:27
@Mfedley, I'm honestly glad I can help whenever I can. I've been to a lot of conventional places and a few odder places. I use to write travel reports on my personal website pre-kid, but it's just hard finding as much time now. I know a lot of my information was well used by some of the hobby communities I belong too, particularly since Japan was more challenging pre-Google Maps and smartphone.

I've actually started using Google Maps to try to find places that look appealing along a route. I don't always know if it will happen but it doesn't hurt to look. My daughter has gotten it into her head she wants to try fruit picking in Japan, so that has been the recent search. It's funny because I live 45 minutes away from an amazing pick your own blueberry place right now. But thanks to Google I've found a lavender field close to Yokote, Akita and the hydrangea forest near Ichinoseki, which I hope to visit.

I try to take my daughter to one of the "big" tourist places in Kyoto each trip just so she can experience them. She's done Kiyomizudera and Kinkakuji. This is the trip we're going to try Fushimi Inari, I do plan to go early because jet lag, yeah!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread