Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Itinerary 2019/5/15 12:38
Day 1
Arrival at Hakodate Airport
Fort Goryokaku

Day 2
Morning Market
Red Brick Warehouses
Motomachi
Mount Hakodate

Day 3
Toyako Onsen
Usuzan West Craters
Shouwa Sinzan Bear Ranch

Day 4
Noboribetsu
Jigokudani

Day 5
Hokkaido Ice Pavilion
Asahikawa Ramen Village

Day 6
Furano & Biei
Furano Flower Fields
Chesse Factory
Ningle Terrace
Patchwork Road
Shirogane Blue Pond
Shirahige Waterfall

Day 7
Sapporo
Clock Tower
Sapporo Factory
Odori Park
Tanukikoji Shopping Arcade

Day 8
Otaru
Sakaimachi Street
Otaru City Museum (optional)
• Canal Building
• Railway Museum
Canal Area

Day 9
Shiroi Koibito Park
Susukino

Day 10
Historic Village of Hokkaido
Sapporo Beer Museum

Day 11
Mitsui Outlet Park SapporoKitahiroshima
Departure from New Chitose Airport

Accomendation: 2N Hakodate, 1N Lake Toya, 3N Asahikawa, 4N Sapporo

Would like to check, for Day 4-7, i read that there is this 4 days Furano Biei Rail Ticket, is this on sale for 2019?

For Day 5,9 & 10, any recommendations on other attractions, all by public transport.

by Delardino  

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary 2019/5/15 21:10
Day 5, there is a famous zoo in Asahikawa. I havenft been though.

Enjoy your trip to Hokkaido!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary 2019/5/15 21:42
Overall a doable trip, really like the whirlwind tour of the island. Just a couple of thoughts:

Day 3: Will you take the Showa Shinzan Ropeway? I did that in 2017 and it was pretty amazing ride up to the top. There is an extensive hiking trail where you can get very close to the crater. I divided Lake Toya over 1.5 days only because the bus was infrequent. For example, the west crater is on one side of Mt Uzu and Showa Shinzan is on the other side. Your itinerary didn't specify if you will be driving or taking transit (I am assuming you are driving).

Day 6: I am planning my Hokkaido driving trip for November and not sure if you have kids. There is a museum and shop devoted to Anpanman which is a famous anime character. Again its a little out of the way so I am assuming you are driving.

Day 8: I would definitely do the Otaru Canal boat cruise. There is an English translation through headphones and honestly it was the best use of money. Great to learn the history of the canal and you get a different perspective.

Day 9: There is the Sapporo Ramen Yokocho for lunch. That is in Susukino

Day 10: Just a reminder the Hokkaido Village Museum closes on a weird day. I found out the hard way when I wasted a few hours in a transit bus.

These are just a few of my thoughts. Hope they are useful.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary 2019/5/16 13:18
Thanks for the replies.

@LikeBike, i heard about the zoo but i think i am not very keen on animals.

@Villagemayor, This is a impulse trip that i decided over the past few days, so i just do a quick study on the places, not planning to drive.

Noted on the ropeway, i will be reaching Toya early, hopefully i can make it. The bear ranch seems to get bad remarks, so i guess i can remove it.

I got remarks that Day 6 will be very tight without driving, so decided to split Biei and Furano into 2 diff days. Did a check on Anpanman shop and Jam Garden beside it, guess i shall keep it for future when i have kids. =p

Thanks for your remaining inputs.

Does anyone know about the Furano Biei Rail Ticket, unsure whether it is available this year.

by Delardino rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary 2019/5/16 23:26
Awesome im book marking this topic. I am going to Hokkaido in October for 5 days or so.

Im going to compare what your itinerary to mine to see if I have missed anything interesting.

Hope you have a good time in Hokkaido. :)
by r43534 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary 2019/5/17 01:21
Fantastic! I've seen videos of the bear ranch and seriously it has to close. Not sure how much research you've done but JR Hokkaido has improved their website and is more intuitive than just 6 months ago. The timetable is

http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/train/index.html

Once at Toya Station you have to take the Donan Bus but they have infrequent schedules. They also don't have any timetables online so if you need schedule from a few years ago I still have them somewhere. Just message me.

I don't know about the Furano Biel Rail Ticket since I will be driving.

by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary 2019/5/17 17:26
Hi r43534,
Let me know if i miss out anything too!
The Unkai Terrace at Tomamu interests me but alot depends on the weather on that day hence i skip it as i don't want to risk the disappointment of missing it.

Villagemayor,
Is there a messaging option here, or do you mean by replying to this thread? I don't mind taking a look at the schedule.

I managed to find out about the Furano-Biei Pass from their facebook page, they just post in 3 days ago. it is available till 28/10/19. There is more info on it in the following link, but it is in japanese.

http://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/CM/Info/press/pdf/20190424_KO_JRgo%20huran...
by Delardino rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary 2019/5/19 08:21
Hey Delardino,

Again thanks for sharing. We are going to similar areas and have added

Im just comparing if there is anything you got i havnt found. I have only used this site to plan out my Hokkaido trip. I plan 5 days now and rent a car to drive around the island. But since I am in Japan for 21 days I can rejig some numbers from elsewhere when it comes to booking airbnb etc.

Currently ill be visiting in not particular order.

Sapporo
City park
historic village
Beer Museum
clock tower
Mount Moiwa
Chocolate factory
Sapporo factory
Odori park

Noboribetsu
Jigokudani (Hell Valley)
Lake Shikotsu