Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Correct pronunciation? 2019/5/17 17:02
Hello,

What is the correct pronunciation for 天ノ口? Is it Ameno, Amano, or Ten no? I know it literally means Gate of Heaven. Why is No written in katakana, though?

If I have to translate it in a not so literal way to a non-Japanese speaker, how should I pronounce it?
by Lazy Newb (guest)  

Re: Correct pronunciation of 天ノ口? 2019/5/17 19:05
Where does that come from? Google gives no result.

This usage of ノ is common in names of places, shops, train stations, etc. Maybe also in titles of movies, anime, whatever.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Correct pronunciation? 2019/5/22 01:03
It appears to be a place name, and most rules are off and readings can vary significantly when it comes to names. There is no proscribed "correct" reading, and the correct reading would be whatever the name of the place is. Since Google comes up empty I can't say what that might be though.

That said, the typical expected reading would be Amanoguchi. Lacking other guidance that's how most people would read it.

I don't understand your last question. If you translate it, the pronunciation would be entirely dependent on the language/words you translate it into. If you meant transliterate, and to English, I would go with "Amanoguchi" or "Ama-no-guchi".
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Correct pronunciation? 2019/5/22 17:01
Many way to read this.
Really depends on the situation, place name, restaurant name, anime, etc

Let us know where you got this from
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Correct pronunciation? 2019/5/27 23:30
Sorry guys. My dumbass mistook 矢 for天. It was actually 矢ノ口, and please tell me it really is Yano Gate.
by Idiot (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Correct pronunciation? 2019/5/30 02:19
To the OP (whatever your name is),

Again, you need to tell us where you got this from. Was it on a map? If so, what was the map of? What prefecture? What city? Or was it part of someone's quote? If so, what was the context? What was it printed on? As mentioned, there are many possibilities as far as pronunciation is concerned. You need to pinpoint which 矢ノ口 it is.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Correct pronunciation? 2019/5/30 08:33
If you are asking how it is pronounced in Japanese, assuming it is a place name in Japan (I’ve spotted a bus stop name and a train station name; also it can be a family name), it is most likely “Yanokuchi,” (ya-no-kuchi), but there is no way to be sure until we know which 矢ノ口 it is.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread