Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Photo of my passport via e-mail? 2019/5/17 21:52
Hello everyone!

For a stay in a guest house, the owner has not shown up for check-in. It was a self check-in, so I came into the room. There I saw a note, that I should make a photo of my passport and send it to his e-mail adress.
This is not acceptable for me, since this has a potential of identy theft. However, I tried to contact the owner, and asked him, when he will be coming to the guest house to show the passport to him personally. I have not received an answer until now.
So my question is, do I have to fear any legal issues if I do not send a photo of the passport via e-mail, like requested? Am I responsible to let him see the passport (he told me how to do so!) or is he responsible (he wants/needs the information!)

Kind regards
Florian
by Florian (guest)  

Re: Photo of my passport via e-mail? 2019/5/18 14:20
It is the law in Japan that foreigners must show their passports when checking in to lodging and a copy will be made and put on file. He is just being a professional and legal. Every now and then someone posts here upset having to supply their passport, but you really have no choice here.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Photo of my passport via e-mail? 2019/5/18 15:10
I see no issue. I've had to photocopy my passport on a desktop printer/scanner.

Hotels copy them all the time.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photo of my passport via e-mail? 2019/5/18 17:04
this is off topic.
but, I think the procedure, in which the owner collects guest's passport copy without facing them, seems to be inadequate. the owner must confirm that the face on the copy matches to the real guests. the owner probably will have big problems, when guests make some crimes or they are suspects.
by that point, I understand that the OP is worrying the e-mail sending.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photo of my passport via e-mail? 2019/5/18 18:24
Indeed, I think that the owner's activities may not follow his legal responsibilities. I am not sure what you mean by "guesthouse", but I think that it may be the owner's responsibility to meet you in person. If it were me, I would avoid dubious lodgings like that.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Photo of my passport via e-mail? 2019/5/18 19:45
Thank you very much for your answers!

Maybe I have to add some information.

The pictures of this "sleeping opportunity" looked totally different than what it was. I feel cheated, I will be more careful next time.

I do not mind showing my passport to the hotels. It is okay that they check whatever they need to check. I do not mind showing the owner my passport when meeting face to face. But sending a photo of my passport... Sending an e-mail is like sending a postcard, everybody can read every bit of information. You do not want to share your passport with the whole world.

So I thought that, after telling him that I show it to him only when we meet, he must meet with me to see the passport. I cannot be forced to send him an (for everyone in the world readable) e-mail with a photo of my passport, can I?

Kind regards
Florian
by Florian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photo of my passport via e-mail? 2019/5/19 04:39
What makes you think an email goes out to everyone in the world?
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Photo of my passport via e-mail? 2019/5/19 06:16
Not all airbnb host/s meet on arrival. The hidden key or lockbox is very common. Hence why host/s require you to make a copy of your passport.

But back to your question. If you are unhappy with the way you need to deliver a copy of your passport via email to the host/s. Then just don't do it. You ain't going to jail or being deported for not doing it.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread