Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/18 22:59
I am from Russia. I am learning Japanese in order to move there, when I am graduated from school (the 9th Form). But here's the question. I don't know if I cloud move there if I am only 16 years old. I've got parents' permission and any of the documents I need. I am not going to be a student there, as I want to find a job there from the very beginning, but if it is necessary I will find an university and a part-time job. I don't have any relatives or possible tutors there. Is it even possibly to move there if I am only 16 years old without parents or legal guardian?
by Valeria (guest)  

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/19 10:38
It may be possible - but I would not recommend this. Your main problems will be

(1) Getting a visa. There is no "I want to live in Japan" visa.
(2) Getting accommodation. You need to be either 18 or 21 (I forgot) to sign the paperwork. Getting your parents from another county to sign will not work.
(3) Money - Japan is not that expensive to live in compared to other western countries, but getting set up is prohibitive. You even need to buy light fittings for apartments.
(4) Getting a job. It is true that some areas in Japan are having trouble employing people, but these are mainly low skilled manual jobs or jobs in Family Mart. Note that countries like Vietnam and the Philippines are starting to make inroads into these areas in Japan for people working in these professions.

So to put it simple - wait a couple of years until your at least 18. I know it seems like a long time - but at least that will give you time to learn more Japanese.

Note that I am a teacher who used to live in Japan and had some students who's parents were leaving Japan and they wanted to continue their schooling at our school. This was not allowed, or was very complicated or prohibitively expensive as the parents had to change guardianship. As such - just because you want something to happen will not make it so. Good things come to those who wait....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/19 11:57
You need to be either 18 or 21 (I forgot) to sign the paperwork.

these are mainly low skilled manual jobs or jobs in Family Mart. Note that countries like Vietnam and the Philippines are starting to make inroads into these areas in Japan for people working in these professions.

Poeple working at those stores have student/spouse visa.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/19 12:30
Japan is not a country you can simply move to because you want to. Youfd need to have a very good reason and something to substantiate it in order to get a visa to enter Japan and to stay in Japan, for example, you want to attend university/college/language school in Japan, or an employer in Japan wanting you to work for them in Japan for your skills and/or experiences. Of course each visa has its own requirements and procedures to obtain.

Considering your young age, an employer is out of the question (there is no work visa category for simple labor), and even for studying, 16 is too young – I believe language schools require that the applicants are at least 18 (having finished 12 years of schooling counting from elementary school).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/20 10:07
Why do you want so urgently to move to Japan, where is this interest coming from?
Did you ever visited Japan at least as a tourist to see if it is really so nice as you are imaging it?

Sorry to say, but from your post you sound like one of those, I am totally into mangas / animes and therefore I want to live in Japan.

There is nothing wrong with liking anime or mangas, but I think you shouldn't make the decision to live there based on this media only. I know a ton of people who came to Japan based on only their love of anime or mangas and they quickly recognized that actually living there is way different from their imagination and quickly ran back to their countries. You should also understanding that working is Japan normally demands long hours, so it is not as easy to love here as you might imagine.

Now, all I want to say is that you have time and you shouldn't rush it. Research what kind of jobs are in demand here. Study this kind of field so that you can find a job here in Japan and try to already visit Japan while studying to make the final decision.

I came here 10 years ago, am married to a Japanese woman and have 2 children and have no desire to go back to my home country. But I went to Japan when I was already working with 27 years and my love for Japan was not based on Anime or manga, but more on an interest in the culture and at first to live for some time here and not permanently. And I have already visited Japan for 3 weeks by that time, although this is not nearly long enough to really understand what it means to live in Japan.
by City Hunter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/20 10:53
This thread might be interesting reading for said person.....

https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+168312
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/20 20:28
Hi Valeria,

There are some programs that do student exchange which could help try out living there and make some friends and contacts and get connected in the community. Super useful.

One that comes to mind is Rotary, but there are others.

Doing it on your own at this age might be making things very difficult, though I admire the adventurous spirit.
by ktb42 rate this post as useful

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/21 02:37
Let's not assume anything about the OP. Regardless of what his reason might be, he's still young and at his age, we know what it's like to desire to see the world.

OP: You're still pretty damn young to be moving to another country on your own. Your English is pretty good, though. How proficient are you in Japanese? Do you want to move to Japan urgently? Why?

I will advise you to stay in Russia, finish high school, then attend college over there. You can study abroad while in college, and see if Japan is right for you. The most important thing is this: you need to get a useful degree in college (business, engineering, marketing, etc.) in order to market yourself. You can't get anywhere easy without a solid background education or a useful skill. Once you have completed this, probably at the age of 21-23, you can apply for a job at any Japanese company.

Be patience, my man. And be smart.
by NotJapaneseButHey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/21 10:22
" I am not going to be a student there, as I want to find a job there from the very beginning"

Your change finding work is small.
What do you have to offer to a company, also you are not having a university degree which is often asked.

You need to consider what you can offer compared with someone else.
Also you need to be realistic and that is that you are to young.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: I want to move to Japan, but I am 16 2019/5/21 14:22
If you are thinking of a low skilled work (eg conbini employee or cleaning or something like that), there are no visas for that.
In order to be able to live in Japan you need a visa. This means you either can come as a student or you can have a work visa for one of the many categories that are available. Not all require a university degree, but those that donft (eg cook) you need to demonstrate experience and for all work visa you only can apply for them after you found an employer willing to hire you.

Thus probably coming to Japan as a student (eg Japanese) seems to be the easiest start. However I think there is a minimal age. Maybe 18?

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread