Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buy smartphone from Japan and use at Malaysia 2019/5/19 14:44
If I buy sim free at Japan, is it can be use in malaysia? What about the GSM?
by Anas (guest)  

Re: Buy smartphone from Japan and use at Malaysia 2019/5/19 20:44
Don't waste your time and money buy phone here in Japan.

Forget about getting simfree phone from AU/DOCOMO/Softbank as most of those phone are
heavy loaded with bloatware, most will be useless in Malaysia and you won't be able uninstall/delete it.

It's expensive, almost non compatible with GSM. 4G/LTE may work depending on the band.

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buy smartphone from Japan and use at Malaysia 2019/5/20 09:40
I have an iPhone 7 I bought through AU, which is unlocked. When I visited Malaysia (KL then Kuching area), I bought a SIM card from the airport. The phone worked well the entire trip.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buy smartphone from Japan and use at Malaysia 2019/5/21 17:22
If you buy a locked phone, it can not work in Malaysia. However, if you buy an unlocked one, it will work well in other countries. The core is to buy an unlocked phone, not a locked phone.
by Hayami Mori rate this post as useful

Re: Buy smartphone from Japan and use at Malaysia 2019/5/22 09:51
Buying a phone in Japan is possible.

There are some points you need to keep in mind.

- Locked phone (AU, DOCOMO, SOFTBANK etc) cannot be used outside Japan unless it is unlocked.
This can only be done after you have finished your term with the provider. Unlocking cost additional money (3000 yen)

- Buy an unlock phone, can be expensive depending on the brand. But there are also cheap one you can buy from electronic shops, just confirm if it is unlocked. Some phones which are unlocked are Motorola, Asus, Opo etc.

- Some brands as Samsung are using region locks, to prevent parallel import. This is different from sim free/unlocked phones. This you need to check on internet if you know the model number and brand.
If a phone is region locked than you can put a Japanese sim card in side and use it for 10 min. After this the region lock is removed and you can insert foreign sim card.

I bought a phone from Hong Kong since the phone I wanted is expensive and did not had dual sim card.
So far all is working and no problems accord.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Buy smartphone from Japan and use at Malaysia 2019/5/29 12:05

What on earth would you buy in Japan while you could get it cheaper in Malaysia?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread