Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 12:14
Greeting All!
My question may sound too simple and not worth your time to answer. This would be my first time to travel to Japan. I have no idea how to plan my trip. So, I appreciate your patience and advice.

I will fly to KIX airport in Osaka from the US in early June, planning to visit Osaka and Kyoto areas for about a week, then leaving for another country. I think my main interest would be Kyoto.

My plane arrives at KIX at 10 PM. So if I want to stay in Kyoto that night, it would be well past midnight when I arrive at the hotel. I am not sure if that would be too late to check in. If I stay in Osaka that night, I would probably spend the whole next day to move to Kyoto, given that my family have to carry three large suitcases and small ones, checking out in the morning, and won't be able check in before 3 PM (per US standard).

When I leave this area a week later, my plane will be 7:40 am at KIX. Would it be OK to catch the airplane from Kyoto in the morning, or should I stay in Osaka the night before? Again, I don't want to wast another day to move, nor do I want to walk around with my suitcases.

Third question - which area in Kyoto is the most convenient location to stay so that I can easily visit most attractions in the city? What are the best means of transportation, bus or train?

Thank you in advance.
by Nishiki123  

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 14:42
I would use Takyubin (sending luggage) a lot of you need to travel around with so much luggage. (There is more info on this on this webpage)

Eg, you could stay the first night at KIX or potentially in Osaka (but check out until what time you can send the luggage) and just bring one small bag per person with things for one night and ship everything else to your hotel, where it will arrive a day after shipping.

On the way back with a flight leaving so early I would spend the night at KIX in a hotel (i guess there is one, but please check). And again I would shop the big luggage. You likely need to ship it 2 days prior to departure.

Ideally really youfd be traveling just with something small that you can leave in a locker at the station during your day before picking it up for checkin. Hotels will also normally allow you to drop of your luggage before checkin, so it would be convenient to have a hotel close to a main station.
You could look into leaving your big luggage in storage at the airport if you can pack in a way to have only a small bag for the week in Japan.
It also helps if you take hotels with a washing machine, then you can pack lighter.

I travelled for 2 months through japan by bicycle some time ago and my entire luggage was one bag of about 10 kg. You donft really need more.

Enjoy your trip to Kansai!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 20:51
For your planning:
- Kansai International to Osaka is an 60 minutes
- Kansai International to Kyoto is 90 minutes

Other than the fact you might be past the last train, don't think that staying in Osaka makes much difference to travel time.

If you have a 7:40 a.m. departure and 5:40 a.m. check-in, sounds like you will be staying at the airport. The first Haruka (express) from Kyoto at 5:45 doesn't arrive until 7:10 a.m. It takes time to travel 100 km to the airport.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 20:58

I was in a same dilemma once, and decided to stay at Hotel Nikko KIX the night prior to the departure. Would recommend the same for you.
https://www.nikkokix.com/en/index.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 22:01
Hi!

If you're coming from anywhere in the USA and arriving at KIX at 10:00/22:00 PM I would stay at hotel near KIX the night you arrive and I would do the same the night before you leave.

Your first full day in Japan I would buy this round trip option: https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/

It is a discounted Haruka ticket (you can buy round trip) along with an IC card. There are instructions on what to do should there be anyone under 11 in your travel party on the webpage. Harukas have room for suitcases and I would take my bags on the Haruka or takyuubin them from my hotel in the morning. If you still have your bags when you reach Kyoto Station, I would forward them on at Kyoto Station. I would do this on your first full day in Japan because I think a lot of places will be closed by the time you go through Customs and after a long flight it is easier to just go to a hotel.

For best places to stay in Kyoto, it depends on your budget and you specific traveling party, and what is currently available. There are a lot more hotels in Kyoto than there use to be, but specific ones can book up and you're talking about arriving in 2 or so weeks. My next trip I'm trying somewhere near Kyoto Station. There are not as many tourist sights in the area but it has good transportation to everywhere in Kyoto. I have also stayed several times in the shopping area near Karasuma subway station and over near Yasaka jinja. I like staying a short walk from a subway or train station so I am not just relying on buses.

I personally try to avoid taking buses as much as possible in Kyoto. They reach the most different destinations but tend to be cramped and slow moving. When I can, I use the subway, various private train lines, and walking.

I tend to have one huge suitcase with me, because it's easier for souvenirs and my daughter likes to use her carry on for mostly entertainment for the plane. So I get having a lot of stuff or wanting to buy a lot of things while on vacation, but I also try not to bring a large suitcase on local public transport because it's frustrating for the people who actually live in the area.

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 23:04
Thank you all - @LikeBike, @JapanCustomTours, @rkold and the other one w/o name! The advice provided by you guys is so much helpful for me. I will do more research to digest the information.

Can someone shed more light on the service of storing luggage in KIX airport? This seems to be the best option for me.

Thanks again.
by Nishiki123 rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 23:06
Where in Kyoto to stay depends on your budget and itinerary. I dislike buses, but you will most likely have to ride it few times. Kyoto station is obviously convenient for buses and trains. The most popular area (I call downtown) is Shijo street, between Karasuma and Kawaramachi, where lots of restaurant and shops are. These places tend to be more expensive.

If above options are not viable, I would consider places close to a subway station. There are two lines of subways, and Karasuma Line that runs north-south is more convenient, because it runs through Kyoto station.
by miyako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 23:28
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/21 23:42
I had a similar experience last year too arriving KIX at 10pm, and I took the 10:52 pm bus to Kyoto Station (http://www.kate.co.jp/en/timetable/detail/KY) because the Kyoto hotel I booked is close the station (just need to inform the hotel about the late check-in). l even had the chance to visit the famous Honke DaiichiAsahi ramen restaurant with little wait time after checking in the hotel. :-)
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/22 10:31
Greatest thanks to everyone again - @miyako, @LikeBike and more!

At the night of arrival, my international flight stops at Tokyo NRT airport first, then changes to another flight to KIX. May I assume I will go through customs at NRT airport? If so I may be able to arrive at Kyoto the same night, just like the other person said.

By the way, my flight leaving KIX is actually 10 AM (I wan confused with the other flight when I said 7:40 AM). Do you think I should be able catch the flight from Kyoto in the morning, assuming I need to arrive at KIX at 8 am?

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/22 10:53
The first Haruka train (Haruka No.1) leaves Kyoto station at 05:45 and arrives at KIX around 07:10.
The next one (Haruka No.3) leaves at 06:21 and arrives 07:41.
by miyako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/22 12:19
Thanks again.

On my final flight back to the US after visit China, I will stop at KIX again. Arrive at 9:45 PM and depart at 7:45 AM next morning. Is it OK if I just wait through the night in the airport? I really don't want to the hassle to check in a hotel, stay for few hours, and then get up super early to the airport again.

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/23 07:42
KIX has very good facilities to help you stay overnight at the airport waiting for the early morning flight.

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/guides/osaka-kansai-airport-guide.h...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07FFuorPcMA

by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I stay in Kyoto? 2019/5/23 10:01
Thank you a lot!

reply to this thread