Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Black Arab, should I go to Japan? 2019/5/24 17:08
I’m a dark skinned saudi who plans on going to Tokyo, Japan.. will I experience double the discrimination? The media gives a bad image of us especially saudis and I say black since I will be perceived that way too, right? I don’t mind but I feel a little afraid of getting double the hate. What will they think of me and how will they treat me? Do they even know people like me exist..

Should I just cancel my holiday there?
by lalalayla  

Re: Black Arab, should I go to Japan? 2019/5/24 17:53
You realize that Japan has been occupied by American since the end of WWII? And that Marines and Navy personal from America also include African Americans? So you will not be unique in any way in Japan. As the Japanese people are well and truly used to seeing African and African decent people.

Go and enjoy your holiday in Japan.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Black Arab, should I go to Japan? 2019/5/24 18:27
As long as you are foreign you will get looks. I’m an Arab as well and my husband is Japanese, everything we go to Japan I get a lot of stares from people even though I look European. So don’t worry about it:)
by Farah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Black Arab, should I go to Japan? 2019/5/25 00:07
To be truthful - the biggest problem you will probably face (and it's getting better each year) is to find Halal compliant restaurants. There is a large increase in muslim tourists in Japan because of Indonesia and Malaysia which is helping this.

When it comes to being stared at - it really depends where you are. I'm a rather large white person who has traveled around Japan extensively. In most cities I'm ignored like I'm just another person as there are lots of foreigners in Japan now. The only time I really get stared at is in rural location which most people do not visit - because they never see foreigners.

To be honest - I think you'd have more problem visiting my home country of Australia than Japan and I would see no problem with you visiting Australia. So to put it simple - don't cancel the ticket and just plan your trip. You'll be fine. I used to live in Japan and taught some students of gulf country diplomats and they had no problems.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Black Arab, should I go to Japan? 2019/5/27 21:21
「I feel a little afraid of getting double the hate.」

Your odds of getting "hate" as a traveler in Japan are extremely low, as long as you're not doing anything rude or offensive. Japanese society in general avoids picking fights with people, so it's not like gangs of racist Japanese people roam the streets hunting for foreigners to target and attack physically or verbally.

「What will they think of me and how will they treat me?」

By "they" do you mean all the people of Japan? There's kind of a lot of them, so what they think of you is going to depend on the individual Japanese person. But as for how you'll be treated, as mentioned above the standard way Japanese society treats people is politely.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Black Arab, should I go to Japan? 2019/5/28 09:56
As long as you aren't Japanese, you will get at least a bit staring from the locals. You will stand out because you are different. As for whether you will face discrimination, well, most likely no, as long as you are nice and polite. Perhaps they might just think you are American.

I've heard of black people having difficulty getting housing in Japan and getting stopped by police often. Well, they are mostly anecdotes, but just be ready for anything that might happen. Remember, stay calm and polite if you into any difficult situation.

And one last thing. "The media gives us a bad image..."
No. The idiots in your community gave you bad image. Place the blame and anger on them.
by MemorialMonday (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread