Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Contract for Private High School instructors? 2019/5/24 20:24
I have juts been approached by a Private High School and they offered me a very shady contract.
I have tried looking for standards for Langauge teachers in Private High Schools but havent had any luck.
It's not an ALT role. I would have solo 45min classes, 3 to 4 a day and be responsible for curriculum development and grading. School vacations are still work days and every 2nd saturday is also a work day.
I have my Masters in Applied Linguistics and more that 10 years teaching experience.
I was shocked when they offered me 420 0000yen a year (350000yen per month) for so much work and responsibilty.
Insurance included but no travel expenses reimbursment. In addition the contract is UNCHANGING for 5 years! What kind of contracts are out there? Is anyone is a Private High School position and can help tell me what the standard is?
Thanks in advance, I look forward to your advice.
by Pomper (guest)  

Re: Contract for Private High School instructors? 2019/5/25 13:53
Are you currently in Japan working as ALT or Eikaiwa instructor ?
Do you know/understand the 'English Teaching' scene in Japan?
Is it a full time work contract?
The remuneration seems OK though, what is your working hours like?
Will you be paid overtime?
Insurance paid as in employee's health/pension ?
Will you be in the Private School Mutual Aid?
<https://www.shigakukyosai.jp/en/about/about01.html>;

Few things to point out
School vacations are still work days
Of course it is consider as working days.
As a working adult, you are allocated certain number of paid holidays, public holidays and some other designated holiday (depending on the institution/contract).
Full time JET/direct hire ALT work during school vacation.

Masters in Applied Linguistics and more that 10 years teaching experience.
teaching in Japan ? 'Teaching English' in Japan is different.
With your qualification and experience, maybe you should try looking for jobs in University or International school, which may offer better remuneration.

Try asking your question here instead
https://www.reddit.com/r/teachinginjapan/
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Contract for Private High School instructors? 2019/5/25 14:09
you can terminate the contract at any time. the term, 5 years, does not restrict your working. they must hire you for 5 years, but, you can terminate the job at any time. that is labor law. the reason is that employees are always weaker than employers and the law protects employees more than employers.

another reason of 5 years is that the 5 years are the maximum for contract-based working. if they hire for more than 5 years, they must hire you as non-contract-based worker. ( it means that they will lay off you after 5 years, because they don't want to hire you as a non-contract-based worker.)
the reason they write 5 years in the contract is probably that, when they write 5 years, you will feel that you must work for 5 years with the contract. if they make one-year contract with you, they know that you may quit the job after that. also, they must negotiate the conditions every year.
they are clever like foxes, and they know the laws. you have to protect yourself, when you work as contract-based worker. recently, some TV news programs said that labor conditions in private schools are not good. (the meaning of "not good" in Japanese, often (or my interpretation as a Japanese) "bad" or "very bad", because straight criticizing is not a polite manner in Japan.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Contract for Private High School instructors? 2019/5/25 16:14
Thank you for the reply! Here is my best attempt to answer you questions...

Are you currently in Japan working as ALT or Eikaiwa instructor ? --> Direct hire ALT with City Hall (7 years) 3 years JET ALT before that.
Do you know/understand the 'English Teaching' scene in Japan? --> I think I understand it as far as I have experienced. I haven't worked at an eikaiwa or University but have friends who have.
Is it a full time work contract? --> Yes
The remuneration seems OK though, what is your working hours like? --> 8:15 - 16:45 (45 min lunch)
Will you be paid overtime? --> Nope
Insurance paid as in employee's health/pension ? --> Yes
Will you be in the Private School Mutual Aid? --> Yes

Few things to point out
School vacations are still work days
Of course it is consider as working days.
As a working adult, you are allocated certain number of paid holidays, public holidays and some other designated holiday (depending on the institution/contract).
Full time JET/direct hire ALT work during school vacation. --> Thanks for making that clear. I mentioned it just because some teachers get the vacations off or half pay.

Masters in Applied Linguistics and more that 10 years teaching experience.
teaching in Japan ? 'Teaching English' in Japan is different. --> Yip, teaching in Japan. An additional 2 years outside of Japan.
With your qualification and experience, maybe you should try looking for jobs in University or International school, which may offer better remuneration. --> That's a great idea and I do have my feelers out.

Thanks for the posting advice. I will post this question on reddit and add your information to help clarify my situation.
by Pomper (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Contract for Private High School instructors? 2019/5/25 17:27
I used to work at an international school in Japan so can make some general comments.

There is a huge difference between international and private high schools in Japan. For example, the better international schools tend to start around 380,000 yen a month (+ accommodation which can range from 50,000 - 140,000 a month). There are a lot more holidays (1 week October, 2/3 weeks christmas, 1 week april and 5-7 weeks for summer). There are normally around 180-195 teaching days and around 8-15 PD days depending on the school.

Most international schools tend to have 'international health insurance' which is not part of the Japanese national health system.

When it comes to getting a job at an international school - Japan is one of the top three destinations in Asia which means that competition is fierce and it's often more difficult to get a job in Japan than Europe! This basically means that getting a job at an international school is quite difficult and very cut throat.

I once considered going back to Japan for a teaching position at a Japanese IB school which had 210 teaching days plus many more PD or work days in summer and winter when students were not at school.

It should also be noted that a Japanese school will have a very specific structure that it quite different than the west. Just giving you the heads up on this.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread